Heating Garage Gym

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GarageGym

Nov 23, 2015
Michigan
Hey everyone!

Not sure where to post this, but I have a question about the best way to heat a garage that will be used as a gym (I'm a personal trainer, and it will be used to train clients in, so it must be fairly comfortable, otherwise I would just suck it up).

For the specs, it's one big open space 23x25 with 12 foot ceilings then a side area where the door from the driveway is that 15x7 with 9 foot ceilings. There is no divider or anything between the two areas.

Currently, there is a gas line with an older model heater hooked up to it. We just moved in, and I haven't tested it to see if it works yet. From what I've researched so far it seems that the door would have to be open while running it, which I don't want. I would prefer electric heat solely to preserve air quality, but am open to any type that would be safe to exercise (with the doors closed) around.

I've researched so many different types and models and still have no better idea of what to use! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome. Can you post a picture of your current heater?

I run a direct-vent (no flue) natural gas radiant heater in my garage and would agree that you probably wouldn't want to be running a workout clinic in there while it's on, all day. It's great for what I need it for, however.

Do you have natural gas or propane? Heating your garage with electric will be pricey, especially if you have access to natural gas.

How frequently will it need to be heated? Pretty much all the time, or for two hours at a time, several days a week?

In my attached garage, I used a direct-vent propane. We keep a few refrigerators and a freezer in the garage, and I only occasionally work on a car in there, so this is just for taking the chill off in the dead of winter. In my detached garage, which I use as a workshop, I have a mini-split system with dual indoor units. Full heat and AC, with auto-changeover, which runs 24/7. It can be any temperature I want, in there.

Which way to go is dictated by budget, anticipated use, and insulation.

I use an electric garage heater in my garage I also have a home gym and the heater I have does the job. I did have to hire an electrician to install it for me because it's hardwired but I found this video that explains the process

I'd look at the insulation and air sealing of the building first. The better shape the building and insulation are, the less heat you have to add to the room to keep it warm regardless of the heating system you choose. Once you know how much heat you'll need to add, you can make an informed decision on the source of the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.