Heat shield questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JB22

Feb 12, 2018
CA
Hi guys

I'm new to the wood stove world and I am building a small home on a piece of property that I have. My question is where can I find information on how to build a brick hearth and surround with the proper venting? I know that I have to have 1 inch top and bottom but I have not been able to find anything that would show that the base that the stove sits on needs to be vented as well. I'm starting to stress about this. Thank you for any help you can give

Unless it’s an old unlisted stove, a big solid masonry hearth isn’t necessary. What are you planning to burn?

Unless it’s an old unlisted stove, a big solid masonry hearth isn’t necessary. What are you planning to burn?
Thank you so much for the response. Its a jotul f500. My cabin is on a raised foundation so the floor is wood. I guess the question is if I put a non combustible material over a drywall surface would that be the only place that needs to have a stand off of 1" from the drywall? Or if I put the stove on a brick surface (hearth) would I have to have air slots that connect to the wall so the whole thing gets airflow?

Thank you so much for the response. Its a jotul f500. My cabin is on a raised foundation so the floor is wood. I guess the question is if I put a non combustible material over a drywall surface would that be the only place that needs to have a stand off of 1" from the drywall? Or if I put the stove on a brick surface (hearth) would I have to have air slots that connect to the wall so the whole thing gets airflow?
Your floor needs to be a type1 ember protection. What clearances are you trying to get from the wall?

All it needs is tile on the floor, or sheet metal. Nothing major at all. If you use double wall pipe and a rear heat shield it can be very close to the wall, nothing else is needed.

Reactions: bholler
I have dbl wall pipe so the clearance for the stove is 6” (from the corner to wall). The inspector confused me when he was explaining the air gaps. I thought he said I needed them on the floor as well as the wal. You guys are awesome!!

I have dbl wall pipe so the clearance for the stove is 6” (from the corner to wall). The inspector confused me when he was explaining the air gaps. I thought he said I needed them on the floor as well as the wal. You guys are awesome!!
Do you also have a rear heat shield?

didnt really care for the look of the heat shield and because it was allowing me 6” with the dbl wall pipe I decided to pass.

On some stoves the shield doesn’t reduce clearance in a corner install. The Oslo is one? I can’t remember

Last edited:
didnt really care for the look of the heat shield and because it was allowing me 6” with the dbl wall pipe I decided to pass.
You cant get to 6" on the corner of the stove without the heatsheild. That is 9". Read your manual it is all spelled out very clearly.

Id be surprised if it did, the side door would also need to have the lock kit on it if it’s that tight into a corner with a combustible wall.

I believe it does. I would have to look at the different clearances in the manual
Yes it does allow for extra clearance when you combine the factory sheild and a nfpa sheild. That is what gets you to 6" on the corner

Yep. I’m holding it off about 9” so I can use the side door.
You cant use it in a corner install. It says so on the bottom of page 17. Read your manual

I don't recall all the required clearances, but 6 inches from the corner to a wall doesn't sound right. I did a corner install, with a rear heat shield. As I recall the rear corners minimum to a wall was 14 inches. The Jotul manual showing the required clearances for the stove is what you should be using. I think if you provided the inspector the manual and you meet the clearances he should't have any issues it.

Home brew heat shields with a air gap is nothing I know about. Surly the experts here can comment on that.

So again, I'm a rookie here. When I first started looking at the manual i was of the assumption that the heat shield was what covered to drywall (brick). Now I know that there is also a heat shield that goes over the DBL wall pipe. Now I know that I need both the brick and the heat shield to get where i need to be. Thank you again fellas.

I don't recall all the required clearances, but 6 inches from the corner to a wall doesn't sound right. I did a corner install, with a rear heat shield. As I recall the rear corners minimum to a wall was 14 inches. The Jotul manual showing the required clearances for the stove is what you should be using. I think if you provided the inspector the manual and you meet the clearances he should't have any issues it.

Home brew heat shields with a air gap is nothing I know about. Surly the experts here can comment on that.
With the factory sheild and a ventilated wall sheild the manual says 6" to the corner on a corner install

I agree. He will be able to see the info on the stove as well as the info from the manual that I will provide.

So again, I'm a rookie here. When I first started looking at the manual i was of the assumption that the heat shield was what covered to drywall (brick). Now I know that there is also a heat shield that goes over the DBL wall pipe. Now I know that I need both the brick and the heat shield to get where i need to be. Thank you again fellas.
If you are using double wall pipe you dont need the pipe sheild. But if you want 6" you will need the back heat sheild on the stove. But you wont be able to use the side door if you are going corner.

Reactions: webby3650
I’ll add that the Oslo is a nice stove, but without the side door, it wouldn’t be my first choice. Unless you already own the stove anyway.

Must you have a factory heat shield or can it be made and put on the wall to achieve the clearance that you want.

Must you have a factory heat shield or can it be made and put on the wall to achieve the clearance that you want.
Gotta be factory in this instance.