Heat shield in Keystone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chester11

Jul 25, 2024
Maine
We bought I home last year with the Keystone in it. Was never used and we were the first to use it last winter, worked wonderful for our home. Went to clean the combustor and not only were the 2 bolts that hold it down stripped and broke but also the bolt that holds the small shield above the combustor. My question, can the stove be run safely without that small shield above the combustor?

Reactions: Itslay90
We bought I home last year with the Keystone in it. Was never used and we were the first to use it last winter, worked wonderful for our home. Went to clean the combustor and not only were the 2 bolts that hold it down stripped and broke but also the bolt that holds the small shield above the combustor. My question, can the stove be run safely without that small shield above the combustor?
That shield,also called a flame shield is there so the flames doesn’t damaged it,and the firewood doesn’t hit the combustor

That shield,also called a flame shield is there so the flames doesn’t damaged it,and the firewood doesn’t hit the combustor
Sorry I should have been more clear on the shield, it’s on top of the combustor where wood doesn’t have access, the one on the top left. My thoughts are it’s there to hold heat more in the stove instead of the soap stone? It’s basically between the top of the stove and combustor

Heat shield in Keystone