Heat shield for new build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jchenderson

Nov 4, 2018
PA
I have a 14x40, 2 story shop. I have already installed a class A chimney through the second floor and through the roof. I finished insulating the shop, but have not installed any wall material. I have a concrete floor. I will be using OSB for my walls and ceiling. My question is this....
A-Can I just install the heat shield (24 gauge steel, 1 inch off the wall) directly to the studs without OSB and call it done?
-If so, will this reduce the insulation value of the batts in between the studs?
B- If wall material is needed behind the heat shield (which would seem to be the case), what would be the best material to put up? Should I just use the OSB like the rest of the shop? May seem like a stupid question, but I like doing things the right way. Thanks in advance.

You can put the heatshield right on spacers off the studs, no need to cover the insulation as long as there is a 1" air gap behind the steel, open at the top and a 1" gap at the bottom. You might want to put some screening across the top and bottom openings. Spiders love this space and garage shops can get full of them quickly.

What stove is this for and how much clearance reduction are you shooting for?

Its a small Drolet EE1200. My chimney is going up through a gambrel roof, so its already out 22 inches from the wall. The stove states I need to be 35 inches to the middle of stove pipe. I figured that putting the heat shield up will be more than adequate. Any thoughts on something else? Something easier and cheaper without looking terrible? Thanks for the response. Have a great day.

The minimum clearance for the stove with a proper wall shield is 12". That's to the wall behind the shield. A sheet of metal is usually the cheapest method.

Very cool, thats what I was looking for. Any other takers on the subject? Thanks for responding begreen, super appreciated.

Anyone know if i will lose any insulation value by not putting OSB on the studs?

I think for the price of a few sheets of OSB, I would just put it up. It would at least make sure the insulation stays put. And likely adds a little R value - but that's likely insignificant. It shouldn't subtract from your insulation R value.

(Although don't know anything about your insulation...)

Very cool, thats what I was looking for. Any other takers on the subject? Thanks for responding begreen, super appreciated.

Anyone know if i will lose any insulation value by not putting OSB on the studs?
I agree with Maple1 above. No matter what the insulation I would want it covered up like the rest of the place--for safety (i.e. for foam--toxic fumes in a fire) and for keeping critters out (i.e. if it's batts or blown). Especially with relatively inexpensive OSB.

From the original and and second posting I got the impression that the OP was looking for the cheapest and fastest safe way to get the job done. There are lots of better ways.

You are correct with that assumption. Anyone want to fill me in on some better ways, or direct me to a previous post that would help me out. I am not very savvy with chat rooms and finding what I need. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks