Heat n Glo DV3732SBI draft issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mgw

Mar 10, 2021
California
Hi all,

Noticed air escaping through my fireplace through the glass door assembly part 6 (https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/serviceParts/DV3732SBi.pdf) , and on inspection found a gap in the glass door assembly (between the glass and the frame). Also noticed the gasket between the glass door assembly and fireplace seemed loose.

Wondering if I could replace the gasket and reseal the glass instead of buying the replacement GLA-550TR.

Any suggestions on which gasket to use and how to do it?

Thanks a lot!

No air should be escaping, ESPECIALLY
when the burner is lit. Air should be drawn IN
during combustion...
Were all 4 glass clips on correctly & tight?
If so, replace the gasket.
Your local HnG dealer will be able to tell
you what size is needed & what adhesive to use.
Depending on what was used originally, you
may have to use a wire wheel to remove the
old stuff.

No air should be escaping, ESPECIALLY
when the burner is lit. Air should be drawn IN
during combustion...
Were all 4 glass clips on correctly & tight?
If so, replace the gasket.
Your local HnG dealer will be able to tell
you what size is needed & what adhesive to use.
Depending on what was used originally, you
may have to use a wire wheel to remove the
old stuff.

Hi,

Yes clips are on. On a windy day, I heard air swishing inside the fireplace. Doubt that would have happened if the unit was sealed.

As for calling the dealer, they want to do a service call and repair. At $350 a call + parts, wanted to try gasket replacement first. Service manual calls for the whole assembly to be replaced, guessing they would say the same. They did not share gasket info...

Hi,

Yes clips are on. On a windy day, I heard air swishing inside the fireplace. Doubt that would have happened if the unit was sealed.

As for calling the dealer, they want to do a service call and repair. At $350 a call + parts, wanted to try gasket replacement first. Service manual calls for the whole assembly to be replaced, guessing they would say the same. They did not share gasket info...

Hi Daksy,

So another dealer said they would check and see if there is a gasket replacement. Fingers crossed.

Reinspected the glass assembly, the glass is well secured to the frame on the sides.

However, the glass on the top and bottom is detached from the frame, it easily flexes/separates from the the frame. Also, the Gasket on top/bottom is not flush with the frame i.e. there is unsealed gap, so I am quite confident that air is moving through this spot. Very interesting how such a small gap can cause so much noise inside the fireplace. Have you seen anything like this?

Thanks a lot! Will update.