Heat Distribution (w/ Map)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brono

Sep 2, 2018
Rhode Island
Hi All,

Burning an Ideal Steel and it's my first year doing so. Had a rocky start with unseasoned wood, bit the bullet and got some kiln dried and it's burning well now. What I'm trying to figure out now is the best way to move the heat around the house. Being a ranch, I know it is a challenge but I have a question in regards to ceiling fans. Couple points of clarity on the diagram.

FGR - Garage
FOP- Porch
WDK - Deck

The 25' line between the BAS rooms is not a wall, just delineation of the addition.
The Blue lines are walls - and yes, the master is designed like that.
The hall way from the main living area to the bedrooms does not have a transom - it is ceiling height.
Two black dots are ceiling fans
Orange square is stove

I've purchased a couple of hydrometer/thermometer combos and have one in the main area and another in the master. I've been experimenting trying to see what gets the heat down the hallway the best, but results aren't really definitive. Also, I have an EntreAir corner fan at the start of the hallway right now, which I'd love to get rid of eventually.

My question is at night, should I have the ceiling fans off? My thought is all the heat gathers on the ceiling and then is pushed down the hallway by the corner fan - however all the bedrooms do have transoms.

Or is it better to leave the fans running to mix everything up before sending down the hall?

Lastly - I do plan on a ceiling fan in the bedroom and I'm looking for alternatives to the EntreAir. At 100CFM, is it more of a gimmicky noise maker?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Heat Distribution (w/ Map)
    Stove Layout.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 155
You may have been better off with a convective stove possibly.

I'm not sure ceiling fans will do much in a case where all rooms have equal typical ceiling heights. With a high ceiling in a stove room, one would likely help a lot. The air currents they make might also give a chilling effect when you feel them, in anything other than the stove room, even if it is 'warm' air that hits you.

But no better way to find out than just try something & see what happens - how much trying have you done with them?

Where is your corner fan? (High or low?) Which way is it blowing? (I know nothing about Entre Air) Have you tried any other fans? Generally speaking, results would be better with a fan on the floor blowing colder air toward the stove room. A small one on the floor in the stove room pointing right at the stove might also help get more heat off the stove & send it further.

Most times this is trial & error - different houses & setups act differently.

I'm not sure ceiling fans will do much in a case where all rooms have equal typical ceiling heights. With a high ceiling in a stove room, one would likely help a lot. The air currents they make might also give a chilling effect when you feel them, in anything other than the stove room, even if it is 'warm' air that hits you.

But no better way to find out than just try something & see what happens - how much trying have you done with them?

Where is your corner fan? (High or low?) Which way is it blowing? (I know nothing about Entre Air) Have you tried any other fans? Generally speaking, results would be better with a fan on the floor blowing colder air toward the stove room. A small one on the floor in the stove room pointing right at the stove might also help get more heat off the stove & send it further.

Most times this is trial & error - different houses & setups act differently.

Thanks! The fan is a small wedge shaped fan that's sitting at ceiling level, blowing warm air down the hallway.

I'm hoping that once I get ceiling fans in all the rooms, keeping them all running on low will move enough air around the house to help even it out a bit. Or is this just not likely to happen?

Generally, blowing cold air towards the stove room from the areas you want heat to move to is the best way. If your ceilings are all equal, ceiling fans may not really help you, could just create more turbulence in the stove room and make it harder to get that heat out.

Try a floor fan somewhere in the hallway.

Hi All,

Burning an Ideal Steel and it's my first year doing so. Had a rocky start with unseasoned wood, bit the bullet and got some kiln dried and it's burning well now. What I'm trying to figure out now is the best way to move the heat around the house. Being a ranch, I know it is a challenge but I have a question in regards to ceiling fans. Couple points of clarity on the diagram.

FGR - Garage
FOP- Porch
WDK - Deck

The 25' line between the BAS rooms is not a wall, just delineation of the addition.
The Blue lines are walls - and yes, the master is designed like that.
The hall way from the main living area to the bedrooms does not have a transom - it is ceiling height.
Two black dots are ceiling fans
Orange square is stove

I've purchased a couple of hydrometer/thermometer combos and have one in the main area and another in the master. I've been experimenting trying to see what gets the heat down the hallway the best, but results aren't really definitive. Also, I have an EntreAir corner fan at the start of the hallway right now, which I'd love to get rid of eventually.

My question is at night, should I have the ceiling fans off? My thought is all the heat gathers on the ceiling and then is pushed down the hallway by the corner fan - however all the bedrooms do have transoms.

Or is it better to leave the fans running to mix everything up before sending down the hall?

Lastly - I do plan on a ceiling fan in the bedroom and I'm looking for alternatives to the EntreAir. At 100CFM, is it more of a gimmicky noise maker?

Thanks!
This would move some air for you....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whole-Hous...247245?hash=item261338ce8d:g:lkMAAOSwVh9cXLo-

Try turning off the ceiling fans, they may be disrupting the natural convection loop (dense, cool air falls and spreads out, moving toward and into the stove room, displacing warm air out.) You want to enhance that natural loop. With ceiling fans off, put a small 10" fan on the floor at the corner of the bathroom, blowing on low speed toward the opening into the stove room. Experiment with different fan placements or multiple fans, with tissue paper taped to the ceiling so you can see where the warm air is moving.