Heat and galvanized steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
My local farm fleet store has some nice galanized 8 or 10 gallon garbage cans with lids at a cheap price. I know that galvanized metal and high heat are a no no but I was thinking about getting 1 for ashes. I load the stove at 9pm before bed and at 6pm the next day when I start a fire I will still have some hot embers in the box. That cant be hot enough to cause toxic fumes can it? The reason I like the idea of the garbage can is that it would mean less trips out to empty and with the lid when I open the back door the wind wouldnt blow a cloud of ashes back into the house.
Silly question for the brain trust here I'm sure but Just wunderin.

I use same set up here, I use a smaller regular ash bucket to scoop out into, then take outside to the garbage can. Although at times I do leave the smaller one inside on the stove heart if not much for coals. But mostly take out and dump into the garbage can. You should store ashed outside and of course on a non combustible surface. You'll be fine with the garbage can. If you must keep it inside, keep your detectors with new batteries and in good condition. And as long as you aren't loading it with a crapload of cherry hot coals, you will be ok. I got more fumes from the paint on the smaller ash bucket baking then I ever got from the garbage can.

Butcher, there is no reason you can't use that garbage can for an ash can. However, I do question as it sounds as if you want to empty ashes daily. That should not be done as some ash in the firebox will help you. Just to let you know, here in MI we've had many fires already this season and still have yet to empty any ash from the stove. During the peak of the heating season where we have hot fires 24/7, we probably empty ashes every 4th day at most. In short, by leaving some ash in the firebox you'll have better fires.

So there's a silly answer to your silly question. :) btw, welcome to the forum.

+1 on the can for ashes. i have one and leave it beside the stove and move the ashes from the stove ash bin to the can. when it gets full, i empty it out back during a rain or snow. works for me.

cass

I use the same cans you are speaking of. I actually have 2 so that when one is full, it can wait for at least a few weeks before I empty it. Not a problem just make sure the can sits on a non-flamable surface, for me I have a small area with a few big rocks. Improper ash disposal is just asking for problems. You will be surprised how long those coals will remain hot btw.

Shawn

If you are really worried about it, you could always dump some charcoal from the grill into it and light it off outside in the yard. Let it burn down and outgas all the zinc, then clean it up, scuff it up, and paint it with whatever high temp paint suits your tastes. I use some galvanized buckets that are aout 3 gal or so, and every once in a while I have the need to scoop out more than normal, and they stink to high heck. Never had a headache or anything from it, but you could tell. They generally get set outside the door on the cement if it's not windy.o

Or you could just leave the thing outside and carry the ashes out to it w/ an ash pail. Then who gives a flying poo if it gives off some zinc.

pen

pen said:
Or you could just leave the thing outside and carry the ashes out to it w/ an ash pail. Then who gives a flying poo if it gives off some zinc.

pen

That's what I do (leave the thing outside) but I carry my ash pan directly from the stove to outside and dump in the can. No shoveling here.

pen said:

pen
It's not the fumes I'm really worried 'bout. I've welded on enough galvanized pipe not to care anymore. It's the dust and the trips up and down the stairs. I'm gettin pretty lazy in my old age dontcha know.

Butcher said:
pen said:

pen
It's not the fumes I'm really worried 'bout. I've welded on enough galvanized pipe not to care anymore. It's the dust and the trips up and down the stairs. I'm gettin pretty lazy in my old age dontcha know.

Don't blame ya.

It's amazing how long a few coals can stay hot when encased in ash. Lots of people do it, but I just don't like it.

pen

Shari said:
pen said:

pen

That's what I do (leave the thing outside) but I carry my ash pan directly from the stove to outside and dump in the can. No shoveling here.

+1 to Pen . . . and to Shari . . . I keep my pail outside and like Shari bring the ash pan outside to dump it.

Butcher said:
pen said:

pen

Not "lazy" . . . "smarter" . . . sounds much better.

firefighterjake said:
Shari said:
pen said:

pen

+1 to Pen . . . and to Shari . . . I keep my pail outside and like Shari bring the ash pan outside to dump it.

+2..

2 cans outside, Ash bucket to cans.

I don't think it would be a problem fumes wise, I would be more worried about the hot ashes being in my house but not in a stove..

Also.. I don't think I shovel ashes more than once a week, even when running hard, and I do my best to leave any embers if I can..That's heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.