heartland ? pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoveguy2esw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2006
madison hgts. va
has anyone been using heartland pellets? i think they are a western made pellet and ive been getting questions at work about em but havent played with em so i dunno what to say other than "try a bag" any input would be helpful

MountainStoveGuy said:
thumbs down from me. Lots of fines and lots of ash.

MSG:

Where are Heartland's made? I heard South Dakota. Sutherland's has switched from Eureka to Heartlands here and the price has jumped $.30 per bag since November. Glad I got enough for the Season.

UncleRich said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
thumbs down from me. Lots of fines and lots of ash.

MSG:

Where are Heartland's made? I heard South Dakota. Sutherland's has switched from Eureka to Heartlands here and the price has jumped $.30 per bag since November. Glad I got enough for the Season.

Spearfish, South Dakota.

Won't burn anything else, they're a great pellet with tons of BTU. I've burned every brand here in town and none burns as good as the heartlands do. Roughly estimating but somewhere around 60% of my customer base burns them. I hear some complaints every now and again. I had a guy saying that he bought a pallet and was having the ash/fines issues. I've never experienced that and I suppose it's possible. Sutherlands here in casper has sold them for years. They are 9200 btu/lb with ash content under the allowable 1%. From personal experience they're the highest btu content and the least expensive seems like a great combo to me. Personally I can't stand Eureka pellets they clinker up in my pot faster than anything. Rocky Mountains out of Laramie WY. are ok but I still buy heartlands over them. I tried some Blazers (West Oregon Wood Products) I liked them and would be a fine sub for my heartlands but once again I'll buy heartlands above any pellet.

you know its funny, i think pellet mills go through cycles. Eureka used to be fantastic, then they went into a slump. Heartland caused us nothing but headaches, but now maybe there better. One pellet that we LOVE is calentitos out of new mexico. There made out of old wood molds and burn hot, clean, and little ash.

Maybe the quality of the pellet can change depending of how the wood got there (ie fresh cut vs Hurricane blown down...)

Status
Not open for further replies.