Hearthstone Stove Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

quansoo

Dec 16, 2019
Falmouth Ma
I just joined. I have an early model Mansfield stove and I noticed the 2 baffles above the fire tubes were distorted from over 15 years of use. Hearthstone and other suppliers wanted about $84 each for their steel replacement baffles ($168), so I found a website that supplies any size stainless steel you want. Stainless will not warp and last almost forever. The cost was also less, about $110 for 2-11"x13"x 1/4" plate stainless. This is a no brainer. I also ordered a new insulation blanket for $15 on Amazon, not the $40 one at Hearthstone. Be mindful that Manfield came in 3 models, so the double baffle system was only used on the original stove, then they switched to a single ceramic baffle. After my installation, which took an hour, I realized Hearthstone never placed a protection above the insulation, so the ashes and creosote dropping down from the 6" vent pipe falls directly on the unprotected insulation blanket. I added a 1/8" stainless cover on top of blanket here.

I thought all of the epa hearthstones used the ceramic fiber board on top of the tubes. Some models also had a blanket above the board.

Never heard of stainless sheets up there. Are you sure your Mansfield came that way?

I thought all of the epa hearthstones used the ceramic fiber board on top of the tubes. Some models also had a blanket above the board.

Never heard of stainless sheets up there. Are you sure your Mansfield came that way?

I have the first or 8010 Mansfield, then it was 8011, and now 8012....soon the 8013. The 8010 had Steel baffles....and I converted them to Stainless steel, cheaper and better. 8011 and 8013 had ceramic baffles...

Reactions: Highbeam
Keep us posted on how this works out. FWIW, stainless will warp, especially if flat, just not as quickly.