Hearthstone stove need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jenn032191

Feb 15, 2021
Hello so I hope any one can help me I have a hearthstone soapstone wood stove I have no idea the model and we are having so many problems with getting hot fires in it the pipe is correct the fire wood is all seasoned but the fire only gets hot with the damper fully opened and the door ajar I keep reading manuals trying to find where the air intake is my question is does every hearthstone have one because I have looked everywhere on my stove and I can’t find any does anyone know where it could be located ? Could it be inside the firebox?

Does your Heartstone have a front & side door? If so, does the front door have a seal? I found a manual for mine and can send it to you if you want. Give me your email. My stove is pictured in the 1st post above from October of 2020.

Hello so I hope any one can help me I have a hearthstone soapstone wood stove I have no idea the model and we are having so many problems with getting hot fires in it the pipe is correct the fire wood is all seasoned but the fire only gets hot with the damper fully opened and the door ajar I keep reading manuals trying to find where the air intake is my question is does every hearthstone have one because I have looked everywhere on my stove and I can’t find any does anyone know where it could be located ? Could it be inside the firebox?
We need a picture or two in order to ID the model if there isn't a UL label on the rear of the stove.

We need a picture or two in order to ID the model if there isn't a UL label on the rear of the stove.
Any help would be appreciated I feel like I’m wasting so much fuel and it is our only heat source that we use

Attachments

• Hearthstone stove need help
    C226E2B6-DA59-4048-A6D2-B98F75317911.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 164
    562AAD7A-D039-44D1-A54D-DF82A6A5FB51.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 210
    D56A0D02-7D4F-4C9A-BDBE-23E43A2F92BF.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 182
    88F779BF-9747-4F0E-B52B-770488EEAC52.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 163
Any help would be appreciated I feel like I’m wasting so much fuel and it is our only heat source that we use
I think this is an early Hearthstone Harvest, maybe a Mod A?
@Kevlar_vw can provide a positive ID. If so there should be a catalyst in back.

Are you using the bypass to engage the catalytic converter once the fire is hot?

@Jenn032191 I moved to this stove to its own thread. The operation of this stove is different from the H1 or H2.

I think this is an early Hearthstone Harvest, maybe a Mod A?
@Kevlar_vw can provide a positive ID. If so there should be a catalyst in back.

Are you using the bypass to engage the catalytic converter once the fire is hot?
I’m sorry I know this is going to sound horrible but I have no idea what the bypass to engage the catalytic converter this is our first stove so could you maybe walk we through what I’m supposed to be doing

It would help to make sure that all is safe for operation. When was the flue system last cleaned? If recent, then the next thing will be sure to have a supply of dry wood. The stove will operate poorly if the wood is not fully seasoned.

I've attached the manual for the Harvest. Unfortunately, it is poorly illustrated, but it does have instructions for operation. The bypass handle is located behind the side door. Read up and then come back with questions.

It's possible that the catalyst is either plugged with ash or dead. If the former, then cleaning it may dramatically improve performance. If the catalyst is no longer able to get active, then it will need replacement.

Attachments

• Hearthstone_Harvest 8402 pdf.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 211
This may be one of the early FIXED AIR harvests or Heritages or whatever they called it. It was attempt to cicumvent EPA reg.s. Might not actually have a draft control!

This may be one of the early FIXED AIR harvests or Heritages or whatever they called it. It was attempt to cicumvent EPA reg.s. Might not actually have a draft control!
The adjustable air intake is right over the door. It is a basic, early airwash system. The fixed air unit was the H1 fireplace which predated EPA regs I think. That stove was meant to be operated like a fireplace with doors.