Hearthstone Starlet (new)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
Hi all. I used to be in here a lot but the last few years had me moving out of state.
I hope you all are well. There seemed to be a lot of good folks here back when I was active.
We finally got settled in a house in Maine. My VT Castings Resolute stayed behind. I had it working well, despite it's design flaws, but I won't miss it too much.
Our new home has a fireplace. I like to burn wood but not to send heat up the chimney.
Ideally we'd probably get some kind of insert but I'm a bit impatient so I grabbed this never-fired 2001 Hearthstone Starlet for $500 today.
It's got a few minor chips in the enamel from storage over the years but the interior is as-new and it seems like a good candidate for this type of install.
I won't be trying to heat the house with it. With the price of oil right now I think the effort I have into making my firewood is worth more than the cost of oil anyway. ;-)
I just like to burn wood and have that type of heat after a day in the winter woods or on the ice. And it's nice during power outages.
I'm looking forward to getting to know this stove. We know that each model has their unique personalities. Kinda like pets. ;-)
I will miss the top-loading feature of the Resolute but this stove will be up on a fireplace hearth so that may help this old man with front loading.
Now to research a flue block-off plate, modding the fireplace flue, and getting a 6" liner. Wish me luck. Any advice appreciated.

s3.jpg s2.jpg s1.jpg

s4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: charger4406
That's quite a find and good price. Measure thrice and ask questions. How tall is the lintel on the fireplace?

Good question. You are on top of the situation. >>
I just realized that it's gonna be tight. Or, more likely, not even doable.
I figured this stove would sell really quick so I took some quick rough measurements and then took a chance and grabbed it.
I don't think I'll have any problem selling it if it doesn't work out.
The lintel is at 27". I think my only option may be 1" shorter feet. And I don't think that is possible unless I can find someone to cut and weld them. ;-( Unless you all have any ideas.
I'm pretty bummed out because it fits the spot so perfectly otherwise.

s5.jpg

What is the hearth setup, is it raised?

Yes. I'll post some pics.
Btw, I had always hoped to replace my Resolute with an Alderlea. Then she decided that we were moving (after 26 years there).

My existing hearth. The black/interior pics are looking up/out at the lintel.

as5.jpg as4.jpg as3.jpg as2.jpg as1.jpg

One thought was to put it on a temporary hearth pad in front of the hearth. Another would be to remove the legs and set it on some bricks if this is just for the season.

It's not just for the season. We'd like to keep it. We wouldn't be opposed to the brick idea.
Would not consider putting it in front of the hearth.
Is there a safety reason that the stove's feet are 6" tall or would it be okay if the stove was a bit closer to the hearth?
If that might be a concern then I wouldn't be opposed to making a bottom heat shield to hang under it. I made one for my Resolute just for extra safety, even though it wasn't required.
I know some stoves offer a short feet kit. (then a bottom heat shield is required?)

I'm in no hurry so I'm willing to try to work this out or hit the reset button and look for my next option.
I don't have much wood ready for this winter anyway. I cut/split some red oak last fall but I suspect it needs more time. I'll get a moisture meter on it before burning.
I just have a good 1st impression of this stove and it would fit the space well (aesthetically).

Last edited:
Is there a safety reason that the stove's feet are 6" tall or would it be okay if the stove was a bit closer to the hearth?
Yes, the stove already has a high hearth insulation requirement. It would be unsafe if this was not on a completely non-combustible surface like the fireplace hearth and I would not have suggested it for another location like a hearth pad.

So my non-combustible fireplace hearth could probably stand to have the bottom of the stove 1"-2" closer to it?

So my non-combustible fireplace hearth could probably stand to have the bottom of the stove 1"-2" closer to it?
Yes. It is designed to safely have a glowing hot coal bed on it.

I really appreciate your input. I'll give all some thought and maybe try to make this stove work.
My best to you and yours. Stay well.