Hearthstone Shelburne Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

olddawgsrule

Hearth Supporter
Several years back another asked about removing the smoke baffle to access the flue without removing the stove.
Seems it's possible, yet seems it's cemented in and has to be carefully done.
Also, in that thread it spoke of the air chambers could be removed, yet again, not easy.

I just heard a few clickers drop and rally don't wish to pull the stove 'again'.

Has anyone done this?
How tough was it?
Was it worth the effort?

It would be nice to be able to maintain the flue easier. All my issues seem to be only from the insert pipe.

Since no one knew, I'll post what I learned.

Yes it can be done. Flexible vacuum hose and be prepared for dust.
The smoke shelf can be moved forward enough to insert your vacuum hose. There's a metal retainer that holds the shelf in place that can be easily removed. Play close attention to how it sits to put it back in place.

PLEASE, be careful and ensure the stove is cold. Ya, a disclaimer if anyone decides to do this while the flue has heat.. I go 'days' before doing this. Follow at your own risk.