Hearthstone rebuild help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrianF

Sep 19, 2014
Bellingham, Washington
Hi guys. I'm rebuilding a Hearthstone H 2. A little history:
I originally disassembled this stove in 2014 to get it out of a rental home. It had been abused (read: "over-fired" and used to burn paper/cardboard) and was in need of some TLC. The stove is a beauty, with the brown enameled finish on the cast pieces. The rear plate and baffle were heat damaged (surprisingly, the secondary air tube was in really good shape!) and one of the two panes of glass was cracked. There's a flat plate of steel with two oval/oblong holes designed to mount on the inside of the firebox that was also damaged. The stove (in pieces) has been in a storage shed for the last five years, so I don't have a fresh memory as to how everything goes back together. Most of it is common sense (aided by the manual), but some questions linger. I have purchased the original Hearthstone replacement parts, as well as a new side door latch, a gasket set and cement.
I have dry-fitted it before full final assembly and have two questions (for right now, anyway):
1) I know I need to buy new bolts, nuts and washers. Is it still recommended to use stainless steel whenever possible? Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what's called for? The new baffle and rear shield came with their own, but everything else was damaged and is in need of replacement.
2) I fully understand the secondary air tube expands and does not provide a tight seal - especially when cold. My concern/confusion lies in how the tube is secured in place. It fits through the stone and through the cut-out in the side plate... but that's obviously not enough to hold it in place. Is there a "plug" or "cap" for the end opposite the opening?
Thanks for any input.

Try Here:

Scroll to the bottom of the page & Click on Dealer resources

Click Manuals by model if you can...Lemme know.
Bob,
Thank you. I appreciate your efforts. I do already have a copy of that manual. It's really pretty basic. No detail, really, with regards to what I'm up against. I guess I'm hoping for some "real world" experience with the secondary air tube, in particular (the nuts and bolts I can figure out, I suppose). In researching this, I came across an old post (on another forum, I believe) where the OP was frightened by the secondary getting red-hot. I was hopeful I might see something in response to that that would help me with mine. Alas... no such luck. I did read that there were cotter pins holding it in place!?!?!?
Brian

Have you seen @Kevlar_vw's thread on rebuilding the H2?

Reactions: DAKSY
I had seen it, but just in case I missed something, I went back (thank you for the link, by the way) and looked again. Even though one of his photos shows the secondary tube in place, the angle from which the photo is taken completely obscures the left side of the stove (which is precisely where I'm running into a problem). If @Kevlar_vw is still around, I might try contacting him directly.
Thanks again!
Brian

Kevin is still around. Send him a PM or call Hearthstone support.

I was able to connect with the Brian about the question. For anyone interested, this picture shows how the secondary pipe is connected.

1b0a060a0e4789fbb3b7756daa0a5436.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just noticed this. that is how mine is done the end of the pipe where it meets up with the side door had about a inch of cement inside the pipe and a bolt to hold it in. what i found kind of strange was the air holes were pushing air out horizontal, ( when loaded up to the baffle with wood the air would blow into the center of the load )when i asked jim casavant at hearthstone support years ago why they didn't push air up he said it made no difference in the tests they did.

Have you seen @Kevlar_vw's thread on rebuilding the H2?

I am rebuilding an older H11, what is recommendations for bolts used internally? Stainless? Also I have purchased new stones but need to drill large hole for air tube. Recommendations on how to do that that?