Hearthstone: Primary Air inside the firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gleblanc1783

Dec 12, 2013
NH
Alright so I'm trying to find where exactly the primary air enters the firebox? I know exactly where it does from the exterior of the stove (Shelburne) -- right next to the lever on the bottom left front.

I'm having some sluggish flames with the door closed and it gets much better if I start to move some of the ash/wood around -- so I just want to make sure the primary air intake isn't blocked with ash INSIDE the firebox.

I took a look at the manual and searched Hearth but couldn't really get a straight answer.

Thanks in advance.

G

I have shelburne too. The primary air is one hole directly in the center front of the stove. When you open the door there is a depression right in the center behind the door lip on the bottom. Follow that up into the stove then back over the inside lip and you will feel the hole. It's about 3/8". If the ash builds up it can be blocked. I make a trough in the ashes so the primary air can reach the wood in the back.

Reactions: gleblanc1783
I have shelburne too. The primary air is one hole directly in the center front of the stove. When you open the door there is a depression right in the center behind the door lip on the bottom. Follow that up into the stove then back over the inside lip and you will feel the hole. It's about 3/8". If the ash builds up it can be blocked. I make a trough in the ashes so the primary sure car reach the wood in the back.

Yes! Exactly what I was looking for -- I really appreciate it. Just went in there and cleaned it out, it was pretty well clogged as I tend to move ash/coals towards the front of the firebox when I reload.

When it's cool use a shop vac to suck out any crud from the hole. I think I had some buildup in the hole and it seems to burn better after doing a good cleaning there.

Status
Not open for further replies.