Hearthstone Phoenix Flue temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

creeker

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2008
finger lakes region, Ny
This is a quote from a post about flue temps under "Hearthstone Homestead. Lots of good info on that thread, but I have a question. Here's part of the post: "You asked a specific question about how hot to run the stove to burn the crap out. Well as I recall, your manual tells you to run the stove at full throttle for 30 minutes each day to burn the nasties out. I run the flue temp up to about 900 which is the overfire line on my probe meter within about 20 minutes of ignition of the new fire because 1000 is the max continuous limit for SS stove pipe. Then I damper down and settle in for the burn."

There was some clear distinction between stove top temp, temp on a magnetic thermometer attached to a single wall flue just up from the stove, and something called a probe thermometer.

Here's what I have, and I just want to be sure I'm reading things right. It's the Phoenix, and it's a magnetic thermomemter "Condor Chimiguard" attached to a single wall flue just above the stove top. I'm reading 450 degrees. Sounds about optimum temp to me, and the stove is handling it well. But then I'm reading about probe meter temps of 900-1000. What's up with that? Internal flue temp? Is it something I need to be aware of?

Most people say double your external flue temp to get your internal but according to my internal probe on single wall pipe the internal temp is a little more than double. I think there could be a difference between these probe readings from double wall verses single wall. Single wall radiates more heat which will in my opinion give higher readings on a probe. I can go up and blow on the probe and the temp drops fast so I don't think they are a true internal temp, but more a calibrated one.

Keep doing what your doing and check your chimney mid season to see if there is any build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.