Hearthstone Mansfield ... what to beware of used.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Dempsey

Sep 8, 2013
So ...

I've narrowed it down to the Hearthstone Mansfield, and I can get a new last-year's model for less than 3k, but I just found a used one for about 1500, and the guy says it's perfect.

Can anyone out there give me some tips on what to be on the lookout for?

Thanks

Jason

Cracks, busted baffle, bent secondary burn tubes. Also check the Door latch and the door frame where the latch catches. Make sure the door frame isn't worn excessively where the latch strikes it. All of these issues are very rare, any of these issues would point to abuse and overfire. Baffles get busted by irresponsible chimney sweeps, its an easy fix though.

Reactions: Jason Dempsey
Hi Jason, sounds like webby covered it above. If in good shape, that sounds like a good buy- be careful moving her, she is heavy.

In my Hearthstone experience I would be very careful about inspecting the door hinges and latches for wear. They easily wear from normal use (not abuse as implied above) and can be extremely expensive to repair depending on which hinge is worn out. Look at where the door latch catches and see if there is "meat" left on the frame for the latch to hook onto. Then with the door open, lift up on the bottom corner opposite the hinge to check for loose hinges. The hinge pins (replaceable) are much harder than the hinge material (not replaceable) and the gaskets are small so precision is important.

If these two items are worn out then the stove may be "totalled" or all used up nomatter how nice the stones look.

The doors' hinges and inner door frame can certainly be worn from normal usage. It has been my experience to see the door handle wear out first, normally followed by the inner door frame (where the door handle catches) if at all. Haven't seen much issue with the hinges or hinge pins, maybe a couple of times. Usually its the handle latch worn, or the inner frame. Both pieces are repairable and supported by Hearthstone (The door handles in fact now carry a lifetime replacement if memory serves). Still for half price of a new one, if in good shape otherwise, its a good investment, a nice heater.

I didn't mean to imply that a worn latch is neglect.
Many models have a replaceable door frame, but to make the switch I think you have to also buy a new door. It can be a big expense.
Lifting on the door won't tell you much. Even brand new they have a fair amount of movement.

I didn't mean to imply that a worn latch is neglect.
Many models have a replaceable door frame, but to make the switch I think you have to also buy a new door. It can be a big expense.
Lifting on the door won't tell you much. Even brand new they have a fair amount of movement.

True, expect a limited amount of slop. Check against a new model at the stove shop. The amount of slop increases with wear and while checking the amount of slop you can visually watch the hinge pin wallow back and forth in teh egged out hinge holes if it is bad. It's like an odometer.

Hearthstone may even offer to replace the lifetime warranty castings. That's fine, you get the castings, but the labor to install a new frame may include complete stove rebuild. Labor is the killer. I've never torn down a mansfield, is the door frame bolted on or is it splined in like a stone?

Not sure about the Mansfield. The only inner frame I replaced was on a Heritage. It had 4 very hard to get out phillips bolts in the corners of which one I had to drill out and retap. You are correct, labor is always expensive.

Not sure about the Mansfield. The only inner frame I replaced was on a Heritage. It had 4 very hard to get out phillips bolts in the corners of which one I had to drill out and retap. You are correct, labor is always expensive.

The side door on my heritage was not bolted in as the front door was. The door frame was splined in requiring a full tear down to replace the door frame and those hinges or latch.

Wow, never had to do the side door inner frame, ouch! That sounds like no fun... I stand corrected.

Wow, never had to do the side door inner frame, ouch! That sounds like no fun... I stand corrected.

Oh I didn't do the work, I sold the stove off when I realized that the Hearthstone is not a long term solution for an actual wood burner. It's about a 40 cord stove and I was about 27 cords into it. I arranged to get the castings from HS and then looked into the labor required and choked, had been wanting to try a BK anyway.

Reactions: webby3650
I totally understand. Have sold HS for many years, they are a beautiful stove that has that certain following. Folks wanting a soapstone usually want no other, until a bad experience. I loved my Jotul Oslo, but after burning all three types of stoves I find the steel stoves are just simple, go to work everyday stoves. The Oslo was that way too, you just had to wait till it got a head of steam going. Part of my issue is the chimney, its a little short, from a raised ranch lower level, neg pressure plane working against me- not an issue anymore.. I do love the Enviro for its simplistic, very warm, long burn time, north and south loading easiness. Hadn't burned a BK yet, but am coming around to them, I like their catalytic design, the only one I have liked. I still remember the Jotul cats, lots of firelights still out there (cat model 12's) heating homes, but the 3 and 8 models didn't do much..... Take care.

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.