Hearthstone II rope pulled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckemph

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2007
Elburn, IL
I was cleaning out my Hearthstone II w/ catalytic and think I may have cleaned it out a little too well. I removed the catalytic assebly and was fishing out debris behind the baffle, when I noticed I had pulled out part of a braided rope/gasket like thing. I couldn't figure out where it came from, so I just removed the whole rope.

Is anyone familiar with this interior gasket? It may have been installed at the base of the interior baffle, between the baffle and the inside of the stove or liner. I'm just not sure if the stove is still safe to use without it. Is it possible to reinstall it?

There was lots of "stuff" wedged in behind the baffle -- kind of like cement, or hardened ash; I could snap it in two quite easily. Is this normal? Or is that cement supposed to be sealing / fire safeing certain areas of the stove?

Thanks for your help!

I'm going to bump this back to the top. There are several people here that have rebuilt stoves that will be able to help you much better than I, but you got a problem. The stuff you are snapping in two, sounds like gasket cement. It was put there for a reason. The rope gasket was also. Please make sure that both of these situations are rectified before operating that stove.

Do you have the stove manual, or a break down parts list of the stove? That should help locate proper position and use of the rope gasket. If not, many stove mfg's have downloadable manuals on their website.

I wouldn't ignore this if I were in your shoes. It could have drastic results for draft, reburn, and temps.

My guess is that it was a part of the seal between the baffle and rear of the stove - or shelve that the baffle sits on.

It should be able to be seen in the parts diagram, so see if you can get a manual for that stove (or look in yours).
Otherwise, we will wait for a HearthStone expert.

hi ckemph

i rebuilt my H 2 but i did not have a cat in mine. i don't know if i can be any help for this problem, but i can give you this
[email protected]
he is the wood tech at hearthstone stove company. he's very knowledgeable about the stove and should be able to help you with your problem. if not snap some pictures and post them up here and there should be some one that could lead you in the right direction.

you could snap a few pictures and put them up anyway. i'd be interested in seeing how your stove is set up and differs from mine.

frank

Thanks for the suggestions! I have emailed Hearthstone with the problem and await their reply. Will try to get some pics posted soon.

fbelec

Thanks for the link to Jim at HS. He's been very helpful. Jim says the shards of concrete are from between the soapstone tiles but the
stove is fine. He recomends reinstalling the braided gasket/rope and the catalytic combustor pieces. Think I'll try to source a combustor replacement first.

Otherwise, the stove is good to go... Rats!! I almost had my wife convinced we needed a new Phoenix :( Oh, well. Don't have the $$ now anyway.

ckemph said:
fbelec

Thanks for the link to Jim at HS. He's been very helpful. Jim says the shards of concrete are from between the soapstone tiles but the
stove is fine. He recomends reinstalling the braided gasket/rope and the catalytic combustor pieces. Think I'll try to source a combustor replacement first.

Otherwise, the stove is good to go... Rats!! I almost had my wife convinced we needed a new Phoenix :( Oh, well. Don't have the $$ now anyway.

maybe next year on the stove. that gives you a year to come up with a good excuse to buy a new stove. if get around to it snap a couple of pictures while you are doing the job and post here. i would love to see the difference between our stoves.

frank

finally got around to snapping some pics. only had room here for two. the pic inside the stove shows the cat combustor sitting atop the holder after I reinstalled it. the pic outside shows the combustor assembly baffle, which covers the other two pieces, and really cuts down on the firebox size! had a hard time getting that braided rope gasket back in, and I'm not sure it's quite where it originally was, so, some efficiency may be lost. running the stove today... nice and toasty!! :coolsmile:

Attachments

• Hearthstone II rope pulled
    HS.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 350
  • Hearthstone II rope pulled
    HS-cat.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 342
Status
Not open for further replies.