Hearthstone Homestead Loose Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SoVa

Oct 18, 2019
Danville, VA
I couldn't find anything on the forum for a loose handle for this stove. Most of what I found was about the latch or hinges. I have a recently installed used homestead and the handle is quite loose. I honestly can't remember if it was that loose when I received it, but I don't believe so. I've winged a few adjustments on the handle during the install without reading up on why or how to adjust and not sure but think I made it loose. Either way, it's got quite a bit of play when the door is open. Fine when closed. I'm not sure if the casting hole for the door handle bolt has worn out, the bolt has worn or if I don't have the handle assembled properly. I tried to remove the handle and have read the upgrade instructions, I got the wooden handle off but I can't get the chrome piece to unthread from the latch bolt. It'll only turn a quarter turn and I didn't want to force it. Should I?

Attachments

• Hearthstone Homestead Loose Handle
    IMG-3732.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 224
Not sure if this is like other Hearthstone latches, but some are not adjustable. They have a spring in them that is supposed to maintain tension. @webby3650 is this true on the Homestead too?

Doesn’t the handle attach the latch shaft with an Allen head set screw?

You don’t want it too tight or it will destroy the latch in the door frame even faster.