Hearthstone homestead close to refrig???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

puller738

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2009
IL
Looking to purchase a homestead and install it in the kitchen which is on the side of the house. The only location for the stove would be about 7 ft from the refrig. Maybe a dumb question, but i'm a new guy who is questioning how close i should put that stove to my refrig.

Also, it seems like a soapstone stove is the best way to go if I have to locate the stove on the far side of a very open house (kitchen) and i dont want to burn myself out of the kitchen and spread the heat throughout the house. Any ideas???

We have an overstuffed chair 4 ft away from the stove. It just gets a little warm. The cat loves it. If the Homestead is similar, it should be fine.

Puller,
We just got the Homestead (one month ago) and we absolutely love it--we are never cooked out of the room, and it heats our whole upstairs (see my temperature diagrams). I sit in that rockin' chair to the right, and it's super cozy and not too hot.

Feel free to PM me for more information.

S

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Hearthstone homestead  close to refrig???
    DSC01080.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 419
  • [Hearth.com] Hearthstone homestead  close to refrig???
    Temperatures.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 424
I don't imagine 7' from the refrigerator will be a problem, especially if what you're concerned about is heat transfer into the refrigerator. Refrigerators are typically very well insulated. You ever put your hand on the outside wall of a refrigerator and feel cold? Ever see condensation dripping down the outside of a refrigerator? Refrigerators are made to reside in spaces that are heated to "room temperature" one way or another. Unless you're planning to push the temp in the kitchen up to 100°F or so, I think you're good to go (even then, it would just require the fridge to work a bit harder to maintain it's internal low temps). Rick

I appreciate the diagrams. Two stoves. Is it an apartment situation with insulated ceilings? I would think the upstairs would be much warmer anyway, with heat rising.

Also, are the two stoves using the same chimney flue?

REF,
The previous owners had finished the basement as an in-law apartment. I'm not sure if the ceilings are insulated, but they are sheetrocked so I assume so. I would agree on heat rising, but we keep the basement at 60 (heat rarely turns on). There is one chimney, two flues.

S

It would be interesting to test and see what the difference would be between a black fridge, a white fridge and a stainless fridge in terms of how they are affected by the wood stove's radiant heat.

May be a silly question, but what's on the other side of the fridge, the stove? Right next door? Hmmmmm, doesn't it get hot? :-S

Kitchen Stove is on other side of kitchen. I dont think ill have problems, but boy this is becoming stressful. New to all this stuff and I have no idea which way to go as far as a stove goes. I dont have a perfect place to put the thing, and I really dont want to spend 5 grand and it be a waste. I'm also concerned about how much the chase is going to cost me to build. I need to figure all this stuff out as I would like to take the tax credit this year. Oh well.

I wouldn't angst too greatly over this. If you get a convective stove, it will be fine. Really, this is not an issue with the right stove. Seven feet away from our stove is pretty cool unless directly in front of the glass. I will measure when we start burning again (50 outside today). Look for a jacketed stove or a soapstone unit and move on and get the estimates in for the flue installation. To keep it simple look at the 2 cu ft Hearthstone soapstone and Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 stove and stop there. Either will work well.
Here is a website link that covers of them: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/fswood.htm

I'm guessing $1000-1500 for the installation depending on requirements. The stove should be around $2500 or so. So figure $4K - 30% or about $2,800 after tax credit.

If you can post a shot of where the stove is going and describe how the flue needs to be run, we can get more specific. And I would recommend not getting a black refrigerator.

This morning I had the IR thermometer out, so I checked a few surface temps for you. The stove top temp is 600 °F .
Dark chair arm 4 ft from the side of stove - 109 °F
Cabinet 10ft from side of stove - 74 °F
White paper hung on a chair back 6 ft from stove front - 88 °F
" " " " " - 10 ft from the stove front - 81 °F

Room air temp - 73 °F

Thanks everyone for all your input. Truly appreciated!!!! I believe we are going with the homestead in the corner of the kitchen and I'm in a big hurry to have it installed this year. Happy holidays to everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.