Hearthstone Homestead 8570 Baffle Support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

seymore

The company that last did my chimney cleaning apparently did not put my Homestead 8570 back together properly. I know the secondary air pipes were not put back correctly, and I was able to fix that. What I am unsure of is whether or not the front baffle support is installed correctly. It is loose and I suspect it should fit snugly. Please see the photo and advise. Thanks!

Attachments

• 953A9F8A-AEEA-4DFF-9DD2-7EBFAD21902A.jpeg
    953A9F8A-AEEA-4DFF-9DD2-7EBFAD21902A.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 926
As I recall, you need to flip that thing 180 and rotate it up 90. Go look at a new one for reference if you get stuck.

Thanks for your response. The parts document does appear to verify your description, though it is not real clear to me how it goes in place. I did go back to the dealer, but the current model seems to have a different configuration, so it didn’t help that much.
The part in question is #33 in the documentation from The Cozy Cabin site.
Should I not use the stove until this is resolved? Thanks!

7166935D-36F9-427E-ABDB-278A063881D3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that does not look right. Did you call the sweep and let them know they put the stove back together improperly? That is not professional work. They did not need to move that piece at all.

That piece appears to be install rotated incorrectly. Is there a ledge on the upper side that we can't see? If so it might just need to be rotated about 135º toward the rear of the stove so that the ledge is in place for the baffle to rest on.

If there is no ledge on the hidden upper side then the support and the ledge we see hanging down is for the baffle then this piece would need to be flipped.

This is a Heritage, but take a look at that piece at time 1:36 in this video to see how that stove's baffle support is positioned.

Last edited:
The baffle appears to rest on top of the assembly that the secondary air pipes go into. I will include a photo of the right side, and noted the assembly needed to be pushed down a bit to rest on the tab.
My baffle doesn’t slip through the air pipes as in the video. It seems too wide, which is why is rests on the top of the assembly holding the air pipes.
It is fairly cold here in Maryland today, but I will refrain from using the stove and will call the company tomorrow to have someone come install the pieces correctly. Many thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

• E56FBA1C-30C6-433F-A41E-9FED5108315D.jpeg
    E56FBA1C-30C6-433F-A41E-9FED5108315D.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,145
I think Highbeam has it right. Flip on vertical axis 180 then rotate it 90º so that there is a ledge for the front edge of the baffle board to rest on.

I had the chimney cleaning company return here, and showed them the diagram from the parts list, along with recommendations posted here. They repositioned the baffle support, so my question is: does it look correct?
The curved part of the baffle support now curves about 1/2” inch out from the holes on the front secondary air pipe, and it looks like there should be a cotter pin from the baffle support into one of the air pipe holes to maintain distance.
Thoughts and/or suggestions are much appreciated!

Attachments

• 80C87C7B-CBBC-48AA-8BDA-30B4AC1B463B.jpeg
    80C87C7B-CBBC-48AA-8BDA-30B4AC1B463B.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 704
  • 06DFAAAF-9291-4B15-9F5A-09C9EB89A525.jpeg
    06DFAAAF-9291-4B15-9F5A-09C9EB89A525.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 647
That looks better but I am wondering about the proximity and angle of the secondary burn tube holes on the right. It might just be the camera angle distortion but it looks like the air would be blowing under the support.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 1.59.20 PM.png

I had the chimney cleaning company return here, and showed them the diagram from the parts list, along with recommendations posted here. They repositioned the baffle support, so my question is: does it look correct?
The curved part of the baffle support now curves about 1/2” inch out from the holes on the front secondary air pipe, and it looks like there should be a cotter pin from the baffle support into one of the air pipe holes to maintain distance.
Thoughts and/or suggestions are much appreciated!
Dang. No, that’s wrong. The bracket needs to spin 180 degrees about a vertical axis. That part that hangs down over the secondary tube holes should be on the back of the secondary tube. Cotter pin through the front tube to hold it.

You can even see where the sweep stuck the cotter pin in the second tube from the front so he wouldn’t lose it.

Reactions: begreen
View attachment 267817
So is this correct? The baffle support sits behind the tube but it’s not flush (as you can see) to the front with the plate.

You didn’t rotate it about a vertical axis. You need the left side to be on the right side and then roll the thing around the tube so that the hole in the bracket lines up with hole in the tube for the cotter pin. That trapezoidal fin will stick up towards the roof. The part of the bracket that you can see in this photo will be facing the rear of the stove when you’re done.

I so wish I could reach through this screen and just spin the bracket around 180, roll it upright and push the pin in for you.

Yes! Now shove the cotter pin through the front of the first air tube which should hit a hole in the bracket thing and you’re done.

That sail sticking up in front is intentional to keep hot firebox exhaust from shooting directly into the chimney.

Yes! Now shove the cotter pin through the front of the first air tube which should hit a hole in the bracket thing and you’re done.

That sail sticking up in front is intentional to keep hot firebox exhaust from shooting directly into the chimney.
Thank you, thank you, thank you Shields & Highbeam. I have a year 2000 vintage 8570 and have been trying to puzzle out just how Part #33 went back into the stove. #33 on my stove has no hole for a cotter pin. I did pull a mangled cotter pin out of the left side end of the middle tube. On that tube there is an extra hole on the left end of the tube for the pin that looks like it was drilled as an afterthought, not clean looking like the others. Now on to reassembly, heigh-ho away!

After a moderate amount of cussing because I put the tubes back in place before mounting the baffle boards and having to redo the job, I got it done. I wired the keeper bar in place to keep the tubes from falling out. I already had to undo the baling wire because of my damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead screw-up.

wird shut.jpg

Last edited: