Hearthstone Heritage too small?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bpd80

Sep 10, 2020
MA
I just purchased a Hearthstone Heritage 8024 to replace a Waterford Trinity that heated my house well for many years. The Heritage claims up to 60,000 BTU vs. Trinitys 55,000, so I thought I was all set. Only later did I note in the owner manual (but not in any sales material!) that the EPA listed max BTUs for Heritage are less than the Trinity, 35,845 vs 43,800. Anyone with any experience think I may have a problem? Shouldn't Hearthstone put these EPA numbers in their sales material?

They can include (or exclude) whatever they want in marketing materials. The maximum output of a stove is just for marketing. Steady-state heat output is much more useful. Testing methodology has changed since the Trinity came out which might explain some differences, but they are very different stoves too.

How many sq ft will the stove be heating?

Yeah, this isn’t an oil furnace so the output is not constant and not easily measured. The heritage is only supposed to be just over 2 cubic feet and the high temperature is limited due to soapstone. Only 550 on my 2006 model.

Those stone stoves do look good though.

They can include (or exclude) whatever they want in marketing materials. The maximum output of a stove is just for marketing. Steady-state heat output is much more useful. Testing methodology has changed since the Trinity came out which might explain some differences, but they are very different stoves too.

About 3000 total. 2000 on the first floor and 1000 on the 2nd. House layout is very open so I generally have plenty of
They can include (or exclude) whatever they want in marketing materials. The maximum output of a stove is just for marketing. Steady-state heat output is much more useful. Testing methodology has changed since the Trinity came out which might explain some differences, but they are very different stoves too

3000 ft total. 2000 on 1st floor, house is open design so upstairs always gets plenty warm. The Trinity did fine, but the Hearthstone made nothing larger than Heritage available this past Spring when I was buying. They seemed about the same.

Understood, though a 2 cu ft stove is going to be getting a workout. The Manchester seems like a better fit.

If you plan to heat 3,000’ with a heritage you will be working that thing to death! Expect to spend some money on failed baffle parts and cracked stones. I rarely ever see a hearthstone that doesn’t have at least 1 cracked stone.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes, this is a large stove heating job. I'm hesitant to spend other people's money, but it might be worth enquiring at the dealer to see if you could do a trade. Check clearance requirements first before proceeding.

Looks like they also sell Jotul stoves. In addition to the Manchester, take a look at the Jotul F55.

Good suggestion. I'll follow up with them hopefully today. (https://stoveshoppe.com/)
It does seem like too much house for that stove. I have a hearthstone heritage that heats a 1500 sq ft single floor house in Pennsylvania just fine. Holds heat very well, burns without much smoke or smell outside even in rain, and looks great. But it is a small stove, so it fits in my fireplace. My two cents.

Yep, I'm only heating about 1800sq ft and the heat doesn't make it to the furthest rooms. No way would it work for that large a space.