Hearthstone Heritage door latch problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 18, 2012
North Georgia
Does someone have a work-around for the door latch assembly that was sold 10-15 years ago? It has a series of thin copper washers on the pivot bolt, and has not worked well since I bought it. I won't bore you with the details except to say it barely hangs on when latched, will not seal, and is a horrible design that was replaced with one that works on newer models.
My two local dealers can't address it permanently, and a new door/frame assembly won't fit the opening on my stove.
It's an extremely frustrating problem since I can't sell it and get another model, and local reps can't fix it. Any help would be appreciated very much.

I seem to remember this being an issue with that vintage. Did you try a search on the forum (magnifying glass above?)

I seem to remember this being an issue with that vintage. Did you try a search on the forum (magnifying glass above?)
Thanks for the reply, Woody. I live in N.Georgia, and don't have a lot of resources available IRL. Literally everyone connected with Hearthstone I've mention this to says "problem? what problem?"
I banged out the original thread message in frustration as I just finished putting on a new door gasket, now it won't latch, my house is filled with smoke, and I feel like I have a $3000 door stop in my living room. I will be searching threads though, when my lungs clear. Thanks for the suggestion.

That sucks. Those latches and hinges are the biggest reason I sold my 2007 model heritage.

The only 3000$ thing about that stove is what you paid 10 years ago. It’s not worth half that even with working latches.

Try another dealer. When the dealers all say it’s a boat anchor then roll a new stove in place and never buy a hearthstone again.

The heritage sure looks good.

I would remove the latch from the side door and bend a chunk of all thread into an L. Use a nut to suck the L against the inside of the door frame and start getting used to using the front door.

Honestly the new ones aren’t much better. Has anyone replaced the entire handle assembly?

Honestly the new ones aren’t much better. Has anyone replaced the entire handle assembly?
Hearthstone said the new handle assembly doesn't work with the old door frame, and the new door frame won't work with the old model opening. Why on Earth Hearthstone would come up with a better (supposedly) design and and not allow it to work with older models is beyond me.
It's like someone installing McAffee antivirus on a perfectly functional computer. Way to shoot yourself in the foot for repeat sales, and alienate your customer base at the same time.
Nice looking stove, though.

Sure looks good!

I’m happy to be a FORMER owner of a heritage.

Reactions: webby3650