Hearthstone Heritage 8020 Side Door Latch Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LakeHousePNW

Nov 15, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Hi All,

I replaced the gaskets on the side and front door yesterday and noticed that the previous owner had Mickey Moused the latch catch. I'm looking at ordering the following: Side Door Latch Assembly ~Old part #90-73207~ (90-73213) but wanted to see if there were any suggestions/fixes I could use short term to get this to close and seal properly. As you can see in one photo the door is not sealing, I can burn wood without smoke coming out but when I close the flue we can really smell the smoke (for obvious reasons).

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

JD

Hearthstone Heritage 8020 Side Door Latch IssuesHearthstone Heritage 8020 Side Door Latch Issues

Looks like that Philips head screw and the washer stack is in the door frame.
If you remove them, does the door close tighter?
What does the cam look like on the back side of the door?

Last edited:
I had that stove and this is the reason I sold it. Replacing that door frame,the stove part, requires nearly total stove destruction and rebuild.

Replacing the front door frame is much easier.

I had that stove and this is the reason I sold it. Replacing that door frame,the stove part, requires nearly total stove destruction and rebuild.

Replacing the front door frame is much easier.

You're not kidding, Highbeam. I tore one apart to
replace the side door frame & that sucked.

Reactions: Highbeam
To hearthstones credit, they were willing to provide the castings but not the labor. Stove was a few years old.

I would suggest improving the Mickey Mouse repair or even bolting the side door shut permanently and switching to front door only.

Reactions: DAKSY