Hearthstone Heratage "Carberator" Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

boleary

Dec 30, 2017
Phoenixville, PA
I've owned this stove since 2006. Though the stove looks good and works well, if using seasoned wood, it requires near annual maintenance (every other year sometimes) of the air intake system which is a testament, I believe, to a rather bad design. Having lived for years in an Alaskan Village in the Yukon Kuskokwim Delta, I became very familiar with wood stove operation. Never did I have to rent a refrigerator dolly and, with two helpers, tip the stove on its side to get the accumulation of ash that drops into the center/front "carburetor-opening" to drop into the air intake chamber, so that it can then be shop vac-ed out (which is another procedure as well).

Shaking the grate in the morning, after shoveling away from the carburetor any amount of ash that might drop into it from shaking, doesn't prevent the eventual accumulation of ash that prevents the stove from breathing properly.

If you've owned one of these stoves for a while and, despite burning seasoned wood, you can't get it much hotter than 250 degrees you need to clean that ash out. I've tried various methods but the dolly/tipping has worked best. Would welcome any other suggestions for performing this task. Damn thing is really heavy.