Hearthstone Green Mt 40 running great

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Hey all, just wanted to post a feel good photo of my stove finally running great. After much guidance from this community I revamped my chimney and fully seasoned my wood.. I had a touch and go first season with it but now my system is fully dialed in.

So far I have not needed to fuss with the stove and the cats have been very effective with zero maintenance.

Cheers!

Hearthstone Green Mt 40 running great

Hey all, just wanted to post a feel good photo of my stove finally running great. After much guidance from this community I revamped my chimney and fully seasoned my wood.. I had a touch and go first season with it but now my system is fully dialed in.

So far I have not needed to fuss with the stove and the cats have been very effective with zero maintenance.

Cheers!
Congrats on the improved burn. can you expandon what you mean by "revamped chimney"?

Congrats on the improved burn. can you expandon what you mean by "revamped chimney"?
Tore down my masonry block clay lined chimney that was not to code and poorly constructed. I ended up re sheathing/ residing that part of the house and installed an insulated stainless steel class A chimney. The new setup drafts better.

Reactions: Highbeam
Tore down my masonry block clay lined chimney that was not to code and poorly constructed. I ended up re sheathing/ residing that part of the house and installed an insulated stainless steel class A chimney. The new setup drafts better.
So previously this was installed on a masonry chimney without a liner? Did you end up having to extend your chimney? And what problems did you have last year, smoke spilling into the room when the door was opened during burning?

I'm asking because I have a new hearthstone shelburne that I'm told is almost identical in function to the Green Mountain series and I'm having smoke spillage issues on door openings.

How much smoke is spilling into the room? Once and a while while operating I’ll get a puff but nothing crazy.

Some questions:

Do you disengage the catalyst before opening the door? Do you open the air all the way?

Do you open the door slowly?

Is this on cold startups? Or does it still happen with a warm flu?

The only time I’ll get a good amount of smoke in the room is on a cold startup and it’s warm out causing my draft to be either super low or reversed which has only happened once. I’ve only seen this when there is no wind, it’s super humid, it’s in the 50s and I just can’t help my self but burn anyway. However Once I get some heat in the flu there is no further issue.

The old chimney was unlined and collected creosote like crazy and it really only drafted well when the wind was right. One time I got it a little to hot and the crock cracked and looted a bunch of smoke into the walls setting off every smoke/ CO alarm in the house for an hour.

The new chimney is a couple of feet taller than the old.

How much smoke is spilling into the room? Once and a while while operating I’ll get a puff but nothing crazy.

Some questions:

Do you disengage the catalyst before opening the door? Do you open the air all the way?

Do you open the door slowly?

Is this on cold startups? Or does it still happen with a warm flu?

The only time I’ll get a good amount of smoke in the room is on a cold startup and it’s warm out causing my draft to be either super low or reversed which has only happened once. I’ve only seen this when there is no wind, it’s super humid, it’s in the 50s and I just can’t help my self but burn anyway. However Once I get some heat in the flu there is no further issue.

The old chimney was unlined and collected creosote like crazy and it really only drafted well when the wind was right. One time I got it a little to hot and the crock cracked and looted a bunch of smoke into the walls setting off every smoke/ CO alarm in the house for an hour.

The new chimney is a couple of feet taller than the old.
I'll pm you, don't want to hijack your thread. I already have one about my problems.