Hearthstone Castleton I 8031 catalyst inspection ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bundy150

Feb 21, 2021
Texas
Has anyone done this? How was the procedure? Did you remove the center burn tube? Was there a blanket on the baffle (some stoves had no blanket)? What was the condition of the catalyst?

Seeing this thread inspired me to do this yesterday for the firs time.

No need to remove the center burn tube for inspection- I think you'd need to for removal, but it's not really in the way of seeing the cats.

Pull the front-center cotter pin, wiggle out the sheetmetal baffle retainer, then wiggle out the front baffle- both tasks slightly fussy but not really that hard. No blanket on the baffle.

My cats looked OK...but I haven't had the stove very long, yet. Probably have to do a mid-season cleaning on them in normal years.

Hardest part of the job was putting that cotter pin back in- I'm sure it's easy as pie with an unused pin, but once it's been split, it's pretty tricky to get it straight enough to slide back through the burn tube. It wasn't so much that it was THAT hard, as that it struck me as a really stupid design. Easy to assemble at the factory, but hard to maintain or repair.

Thanks so much for the info. My install is nearly identical to yours ... rear vent also, but no block off plate on fireplace.

Pick up some long, stainless cotter pins at the hardware store and keep them on hand.