hearthstone Bennington ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I was very seriously considering it and liked what I saw. No fault of the stove but I ended up getting a front loader with closer corner clearances.

It seems to be a middle choice for my situation . The fire box is a little smaller than I would like . I think it's 2.5 cu ft . Still bigger than the resolute acclaim I'm running .
I might go check it out . I also found an efel giant for sale very close to me for $500 . I'm having a hard time getting info on the stove . The owner says its heating his 2k sq ft home from the basement .

I thought the Bennington was 3 cu ft..

2.5 cf.

Yup, just pulled up the manual. My bad. Still should match the Acclaim for performance and pass it for lower maintenance.

The question you have to ask yourself is why they quit making the Bennington. There were a lot of complaints about the quality of it. They had it made someplace in Europe.

That thing is a coal stove. No good coal stove makes a good wood burner.

The resolute acclaim has a 1.7 cu ft firebox , says the manual online . I would hope a 2.5 would be an upgrade on the amount of tending. I like playing with fire , but don't like the sound of the furnace kicking on at 4am.

The question you have to ask yourself is why they quit making the Bennington. There were a lot of complaints about the quality of it. They had it made someplace in Europe.
That would be a question for Hergom. Sometimes stove mfg. change design to have a more uniform control over a model line. Quad just dropped the Isle Royale which by any measure was a great stove. Replaced it with a different construction cast clad steel stove.

Yeah. I was ga ga over that stove in 2006 but couldn't make it work with my lintel height. Later I was glad I didn't buy it given the bashing it took from owners on the Net.

"Hearthstone Bennington
As a former employee who dealt with finishing and packaging, i can tell by some of the reviews that some people have just received crap-lousy builds. The Bennington was one of the most difficult to build, there for alot of the time complete garbage stoves would just be pushed through and shipped out because their was no time to rework them. For example the guys side door falling off was probably just a bad door that should not have been thrown on, or the other guys front doors that chips the enamel, CLEARLY should not have been put on. the airflow lever was done half-assed alot of the time, and maybe some of the other people got the wrong size ashpan thrown in, who knows. also, the people who have to open the doors in order to get the fire going, their is a reason for that. every stove is somewhat different as far as being air-tight. when we tested them it has to be within a certain range in order to be legal. they mark the test number on the pallet it is bolted on. their are super-air-tight stoves, and not so air tight stoves. so i would assume the people having trouble got some of the really really air-tight builds. i would not bash the bennington too hard, it is a high quality good stove when you get a good build. the problem is its just really hard to build this model as fast as the other heathstone stoves, yet the company tries to pump them out just as fast and your bad reviews are the results. the bottom line is if you have a sub-par bennington, my insider advice would be to send it back, and demand your moneys worth. the customer service office is literally right outside the production floor. all they have to do is walk out and tell the guys that they have an angry customer complaining and that they need to build one perfect stove with good parts, good doors, good handles, the right ashpan, and high air test scores (the higher the score, the less air-tight) and then set it aside and mark it to be sent to the angry customer. trust me, they can make it happen. i have seen it happen."

The reviews were inconsistent too. Some absolutely loved the stove and others complained about the above mentioned issues, especially the side door. The Manchester hit the starting gates with the same complaints, though now they appear to finally have been addressed. Hope so.

So we ended up getting the hearthstone Bennington for $300. This stove is pumping out the heat . Seems to be the perfect size for my house .
The only issue I'm having is controlling
the stove. It doesn't seem to "shutdown" to the degree I would like . Is there anyone that can chime in to what would cause this . It seems to have only one control in the bottom front , right corner of the stove . I don't have a chimney damper to help either .
Thanks for the help , Trina

Load less wod for less heat when the weather is milder.

I'm not familiar with how the stove runs, but is it possible it is leaking air? Did you replace the gaskets and check the seams from inside with a flashlight to see if there are gaps that are visible from outside the stove?

I'm not familiar with how the stove runs, but is it possible it is leaking air? Did you replace the gaskets and check the seams from inside with a flashlight to see if there are gaps that are visible from outside the stove?

No I didn't do that . It's warm today so I will .

So the weather is great for woodstove burning , but I'm still having the same problem with the stove burning though the wood . It's not shutting down enough to have coals in the morning to start it back up . I replaced the side doors and the front door(s) gasket. The ashpan door looked good so I didn't bothers . Still not lasting through the night .
Does any one know where the primary air intake is ? I can see the pedal in the front , bottom right , is connected to a horizontal bar, then connects on each side to vertical bars , but then it's all interior so it's a mystery .
I have to get this stove going right .
Thanks for any help you can provide .

I don't know your stove at all but if all your gaskets are tight do a smoke test to see if air is being pulled in from anywhere else. If there are no air leaks then it could be something like what was happening with my Oslo where interior parts needed to be resealed to allow air to be directed to the secondary air tubes instead of directly into the firebox.
When you cut the air back the flames should die down considerably and you should see lots of secondary flames above the wood. If this is happening and your stove has no air leaks then try turning back the air a little sooner to see if that helps.

So the weather is great for woodstove burning , but I'm still having the same problem with the stove burning though the wood . It's not shutting down enough to have coals in the morning to start it back up . I replaced the side doors and the front door(s) gasket. The ashpan door looked good so I didn't bothers . Still not lasting through the night .
Does any one know where the primary air intake is ? I can see the pedal in the front , bottom right , is connected to a horizontal bar, then connects on each side to vertical bars , but then it's all interior so it's a mystery .
I have to get this stove going right .
Thanks for any help you can provide .
My stove was burning through wood way too fast because I had a bit of an overactive draft; putting a key damper in the flue right above the stove's flue exit gave me that little bit of extra control so that I could slow the burn down to a more manageable rate of burn. Maybe you need to try this too?

How big are your splits and what type of tree? For overnight stuff I normally use a very large blocky or gnarly split in the back of the stove with medium and smaller stuff on top and in front. Do you have a stove top thermometer? How hot is it when you are doing the load for the intended longer burn. I too like the idea for the damper so you can dial it back a bit if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.