Hearth Temperature under a Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Table Jotul

Oct 27, 2015
Hanna, Utah
At a piece of recreational property I have an outdoor covered pavilion with a table running up through the center I want to make the property more use able in the winter months to snow shoe or snowmobile in so I'm having some vinyl & canvas sides made to drop down and make it into a kind of wall tent 20' X 15'
I have a Jotul 602 I want to place on the table, the manual says floor protection with a minimum R-Value of .45
The existing table top is porcelain tile, with 1/4" Hardie backer board on top of plywood. The plywood structure of the table is open to the air from below. That table top assembly seems like it would transfer heat straight through. How hot do you see your hearths getting underneath a Jotul 602? Do you think this table structure would be okay for this stove?

The temp of the floor depends on how hard the stove is run. If the goal is to warm up a cold temp with outdoor temps in the teens then I suspect the stove is going to get run pretty hard. The described table top is well below the R=.45 spec. I would at least put a sheet of Durock NexGen under the stove for additional protection.

Okay, I'm going to monitor it real close this first season, I have some metal and pipe up there I could slip in a little heat shield if it starts getting hot. It just doesn't seem to me that with the leg height you would get that much heat radiating down. Maybe next summer when I'm able to get more materials up there I build up a little hearth on top of the tile with an airgap.

Status
Not open for further replies.