Hearth stone rock coloring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2008
ohio
Hello I have faux river rock (cement castings) around my stove and up the wall a little ways, and was wondering if they sell a product that is non-flammable to brighten the color of the stone up some?

I would think you could just add a sealer of some sort that would bring the color out in the stone.

Shari

Normally, the typical sealers/enhancers will make natural rock darker and more colorful plus shiny. To see what you would get with a sealer, just wet down the rocks and see if they darken. Being a faux rock we can't really say how it will react. The sealers work by being absorbed.

Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid would clean and etch, maybe lighten them. I wouldn't use it though - looks nasty. Phosphoric acid maybe instead. Just some ideas, certainly not an endorsement.

EDIT: here http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infmur.html says not to use muriatic indoors....

I wouldn't mess with any bleaching agents unless you know exactly what the faux is made of. Any sealer will deepen the color. There are few clear coat products with a heat resistent quality. You might see if their is a clear high temp epoxy available through an industrial paints outlet. Go with a fear of death. The price will scare the knickers off you. A gallon may be $100, but the catalyst may be even more and not available in small quantity. Try Sherwinn Williams first as they may be the best all access source.

Someone on the list posted a before and after when they sealed their slate tile - anyone got a link to that message?

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.