Hearth SOS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KraZyDYI

Oct 12, 2020
Victoria, BC
Hello all,

I am desperate to find hep with an issue I just came across on my fireplace. It’s over 40 years old and The hearth is moving forward and the bottoms 3 rowes Of bricks on one side of the fireplace wall have Cracked and dropped almost 2 inches. The crack goes across along the side of the hearth. The right sided is not as bad but still has cracks and loose bricks and mortar failure which I know isn’t uncommon. But there is also crack That runs from one side and goes across the hearth under the insert overhang where it meets the fireplace.

we are on ground floor with concrete foundation so it’s not a support issue and the wall portion is not attached to the actual chimney as far as I can tell. I’ve yet to check the outside chimney but I can’t see any cracked inside the fireplace in the void areas beside the insert where it sits in old fireplace

Initially I was thinking I could remove the hearth but i will need the insert to be removed as I am pretty sure the overhang sits on the hearth so that may be a different issue all together.

any help or feedback on the hearth and the best way to sort this out, would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
T
50C5D2C4-065A-4679-BF97-A2B2135C71FF.jpegC15AB46B-400F-471B-A837-9362FCD92AD9.jpeg0B3530D2-2194-4DF5-9A84-1E370324A532.jpegF71EDA28-5C1F-4B07-8D44-C6CF2CDBF600.jpeg246A8C96-71CE-4A12-9B67-23DD2B9663EC.jpegF52D1C18-391F-48A9-AFE1-75E704B147AF.jpeg
Hearth SOS

Check the exterior chimney to see if it is settling.

My guess is that the hearth extension and face are just built on the framing instead of foundation like they should be

Yes, it wasn't clear if this is an on slab construction or if there is a crawlspace on a concrete perimeter foundation. If there is a crawlspace, go under the fireplace and take some pictures of the underside of the hearth support.

I would break out all the bricks that have moved. I'm sure it will become clear what the issue is. Probably unsupported and the heat cracked the joints.

I would break out all the bricks that have moved. I'm sure it will become clear what the issue is. Probably unsupported and the heat cracked the joints.
Heat would not do that. It is settling of some sort.

bloody hell this is great! thank you 'everyone' for all your feedback!

few answers....
the chimney is solid, no cracks or settling inside or out, i have pulled a few wall boards and was able to check the chimney cinder blocks on the inside of the house, and they are all good. the interior sides of the chimney and fireplace on either side of the insert are free of any cracks or indication of continuation cracks from the wall. I can actually see exposed rebar across the threshold of the brick wall over the insert, i am pretty sure this isn't supposed to be exposed but over time the mortar has cracked away? :|

sorry for the confusion, my lack of knowledge is clear. the concrete foundation i believe is the slab someone referred to? ultimately the house in on a concrete foundation which is above grade, but that is all that is under the entire floor of the house and fireplace.

I just checked the main crack across the hearth, and one side the crack goes clear to the floor, so appears to have separated completely from the wall/fireplace on that side. I am pretty sure they build the brick wall and tied it in into the chimney/fireplace with mortar. obviously I tried to push on the hearth and nothing budged and even stood on it to see if it would move but nothing.

so pulling the bricks out from the bottom, could that not bring the wall down? just want to know what i am getting into. in the end i may need to call someone in.

thanks again
T

So the house is built with a concrete slab floor, no crawlspace underneath, correct?

It's a guess, but they may have used rubble fill in the location of the hearth, to ill effect.

If the fireplace had exposed slab on either side of it Would you not see the foundation cracking around the fireplace? If that section was Sinking due to poor back full?

I guess the only way to know is to pull the brick out and make sure I’m not in front of the wall when I do it

I have a mason coming by next Week to see how much KRAzy is going on with this fireplace

Do wish I could just pull out the bloody hearth and fix the wall. If it wasn’t for the insert I would!

thanks
T