Hearth Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chuck the Canuck

Feeling the Heat
Hi. I've looked into this issue, but I don't feel comfortable assuming I know what I'm doing (Oh, how I wish I felt like this in my 20's).... Anyway, I have a Drolet Austral (1st iteration) in my basement. I have 61" from the top of my stove to the bottom of my ceiling box where the 6" double wall connects.

What is the question?

Oh my Lord. I think I'm losing it... so the question would be, can I put a 12 - 24" high hearth, made out of ckinder blocks, under the stove? The stove is presently resting on a concrete floor in the basement. It's a straight shot right up and out the roof.

Oh my Lord. I think I'm losing it... so the question would be, can I put a 12 - 24" high hearth, made out of ckinder blocks, under the stove? The stove is presently resting on a concrete floor in the basement. It's a straight shot right up and out the roof.
What height is the ceiling required to be over your stove? It should say in the manual

Hi. Sorry for taking so long to respond. I can't find the manual (which I was looking at (and taking some pictures of) a few weeks ago. I found an Drolet Austral manual online and have snipped a couple of pages out of that, plus I've added a super sad looking picture/drawing that shows what I'm aiming at doing. I'll attach the pics for your perusal. Anyway, as per your question, it looks like the want a height of 84" for the ceiling, which is fine because I have 91" from cement floor to bottom of the ceiling support box. I'm thinking that I'd like to build a cinderblock base (or hearth?) that will be 18" high. Then I'll plonk the stove on top of that for another 30", or 48 & 3/8" high so far. That would leave me with 43" of double wall stove pipe to get from the top of the stove to the bottom of the ceiling support box. And praise the Lord, I have one last page from the manual which states categorically that I only need 42 inches between the top of the stove and the bottom of the ceiling support (or ~44.5" to the rafters.... I'm allowing myself to feel a bit excited now, maybe this will work after all??? Cheers

Attachments

• Hearth Question
    Clearance to combustibles & stove top to ceiling clearance.png
    140 KB · Views: 67
  • Hearth Question
    clearance to walls and ceilings.png
    109 KB · Views: 64
  • Hearth Question
    Min clearance tween appliance top and unshield. combustible ceiling.png
    197.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Hearth Question
    new plan 18 in. high cinderblock hearth.jpg