Hearth Pad for Fisher Grandpa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DannyBear

Apr 11, 2019
Tilbury, On
Hey everyone,

new to the site.. I just got myself a Fisher Grandpa Bear wood stove to install in my garage. what are the Hearth requirements for a garage? I have concrete flooring in the shop right now, I think I read somewhere that it needs to be a little higher? I am in Ontario, Canada

Thank you,
Dan

It doesn't only go by R, which is Thermal Resistance.
Thermal Conductivity; K and Thermal Conductance; C are factors.

Some materials with high R value can conduct heat very well, so there are formulas to determine the protection of a proposed system. Not all materials have R given, so you would have to use these formulas if C or K is known to convert to the R desired.
Originally mineral board was used as the protection requirement. That is no longer available, containing asbestos. So now double rock board covered with a layer of brick or stone is the general practice.

On a cement slab, you can always keep it all non combustible by using a cement block perimeter filled with sand or stone with a masonry top like a walkway, or form and pour cement with 2b stone mixed such as a footer. Some simply extend the legs with angle iron to raise the stove. I call them the handicap version since they can be filled from a wheelchair.

DannyBear, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Fisher stove!

It doesn't only go by R, which is Thermal Resistance.
Thermal Conductivity; K and Thermal Conductance; C are factors.

Some materials with high R value can conduct heat very well, so there are formulas to determine the protection of a proposed system. Not all materials have R given, so you would have to use these formulas if C or K is known to convert to the R desired.
Originally mineral board was used as the protection requirement. That is no longer available, containing asbestos. So now double rock board covered with a layer of brick or stone is the general practice.

On a cement slab, you can always keep it all non combustible by using a cement block perimeter filled with sand or stone with a masonry top like a walkway, or form and pour cement with 2b stone mixed such as a footer. Some simply extend the legs with angle iron to raise the stove. I call them the handicap version since they can be filled from a wheelchair.

I also have this stove. I am new to wood stove ownership and am a total newbie. When we bought the house, the stove was on concrete floor in the basement. We have since updated the floor to the Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) and are now researching hearth pads. Its very confusing to figure out what is needed. Do I need to pay attention to R-value, or would something like this work ok? https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/tretco-standard-type-2-thermal-hearth-pad-hths1018.html

I really appreciate the help!

@ljkallmeyer , welcome to the forum! Someone with more knowledge on wood stove installation should be along soon to help you out.

First, if you have a Grandpa I with no bottom heat shield, it was designed to go on a non-combustible hearth, or non-combustible floor as it was installed. Kentucky has adopted the 2015 International Building Code that does not allow new installation of any unlisted appliances, so technically it will not be a legal installation. That said;

If the floor is non-combustible cement, I would brick or stone the hearth pad, then install flooring up to the pad. There would be nothing combustible to need floor protection. Slate, stone, tile, brick, anything non-combustible over the cement for appearance only. If the flooring is in place, either cut and remove the area where hearth pad will be, or install double cement board over it, then install cover of choice.
If using a UL Listed stove board (much cheaper at Ace Hardware) go by the protection rating of the board. (In case they make some for ember protection only - you need the proper heat protection as well) I would remove flooring under stove before the expense of cement board and stove board to protect flooring that shouldn’t be under it.