Hearth modification question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garybeck

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2010
Vermont
I am trying to come up with creative ways to fit a Jotul F600 on my hearth. It's just a little too tall. I have read here about the possibility of shortening the legs. another idea is to make a small modification to my hearth. I noticed that the section that is in the way is just one row of bricks that seems to serve no function if I'm using a wood stove. I'm thinking I could remove a few bricks to make room for the stove exhaust. has anyone ever done this? any reason why i can't? will my entire chimney come crashing down on me? I guess I could pay a mason to do it right but it seems pretty simple if I have the right tool for cutting bricks and I wouldn't have to remove very much. if this is possible it seems to be the most elegant solution

Hearth modification question

thoughts? thanks!
gary in vermont

Find the lintel frame. That is what is supporting the bricks over the opening. Usually it is on the lowest course of brick. If you want to raise the opening it will require raising this lintel bar.

Can you post a picture of the full fireplace including hearth? Include the mantel too if there is one.

Find the lintel frame. That is what is supporting the bricks over the opening. Usually it is on the lowest course of brick. If you want to raise the opening it will require raising this lintel bar.
thanks. it does appear there is a metal bar or something under the bricks, and I'm guessing that is what you are referring to. I will send a photo. from what you're saying it seems like something I would have to pay a mason to do it right, but it might be worth it depending on the cost.

Yes, you want it done right, but it is not a huge task. Worth getting a couple quotes from reliable masons in the area. The possible downside is that the fireplace may be prone to smoke spillage if reverted to a fireplace.

Reactions: garybeck
Yes, you want it done right, but it is not a huge task. Worth getting a couple quotes from reliable masons in the area. The possible downside is that the fireplace may be prone to smoke spillage if reverted to a fireplace.
thanks again! for now I think I will put the stove on the floor in front of the hearth and I can work on a plan to alter the hearth or shorten the legs over the summer. i am not concerned about using it as a fireplace ever again.... unless the future homeowners do.... that's their problem I guess.