Hearth gloves recommendation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Prolly thinking too much into it. Burned my forearm a little, pushing logs all the way to back of the fire box on hot start. . Lot of welder gloves online. What you would recommend?

8fe3e796f85646d9820abec94ad8923e.jpg

This is what I run, I have had this pair for a while now, and I also keep a pair of these on my welder. They fix nicely. Probably a little overkill for what we use them for but I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what they'll be used for don't need nothing fancy. Standard cowhide welders gloves here. Something like this:
Mine are 12"long. They work as intended.
Tcs and farm fleet have nice standard leather ones also.

Last edited:
I like to use black stallion #39 mighty MIG gloves they are softer and more flexible than standard welding gloves. They supply them at work and when they get grease on them we throw them away so I get them and wash the grease off and use them at home for work gloves

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I had two pair . . . a cheap pair of welding gloves I purchased at the local True Value for every day use (although I need to replace those as they eventually developed a hole in a finger) and a thicker pair of true hearth gloves which I use when unloading the ash pan if it is still warm/hot.

Get long ones that go up to the elbow. Don't ask how I know.

Welding gloves are NOT created equal. Get good ones and you can pick up a burning log, get cheap ones and that same log will burn YOU. Just say’in....

These were 12$ They work but stink!! They smell like idk. Chemically. I left them on the hearth directly in front of stove. Once heated they really stink up the joint. There better now, assume it’s the off gassing from the tears of the Chinese children that probably made them.

They work well so far, haven’t had to grab a fully engulfed log, but walnut sized embers that make a break for the outside are painlessly tosses back in. ABD67DCF-180A-4821-9D7F-4421F3B352C0.png

These were 12$ They work but stink!! They smell like idk. Chemically. I left them on the hearth directly in front of stove. Once heated they really stink up the joint. There better now, assume it’s the off gassing from the tears of the Chinese children that probably made them.

They work well so far, haven’t had to grab a fully engulfed log, but walnut sized embers that make a break for the outside are painlessly tosses back in. View attachment 251822
just got them, seem ok so far

I got some Hobart welding gloves from the local tractor supply store for around $20. They are about 2 years old now, and show no signs of hard use. That's saying a lot because we burn wood 8 months a year. I'm still using them now, and I'm sure they will last all winter.

I've tried cheaper gloves and they just don't last that long, and they have much less protection from heat.

I like these gloves. They're a little pricy compared to some others, but they're thick and durable. My first pair is 5 years old and I'm still using them. I've used them for lead bullet casting, handling hot charcoal smoker parts and throwing splits into the wood stove. The only time I've felt an uncomfortable amount of heat was while using a charcoal chimney and accidentally grabbing the metal side after dumping hot charcoal... they're a little dirty but still good. I just bought a replacement pair and left them hanging in the garage because with my luck - by the time I need to replace them, they won't be available anymore.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 7.13.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 7.13.30 PM.png
    274.5 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: Microduck17
Welding gloves are NOT created equal. Get good ones and you can pick up a burning log, get cheap ones and that same log will burn YOU. Just say’in....

With my Black Stallion gloves, I have reach in the stove and move hot logs around no problem. It is much easier than moving with tongs lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk