Hearth for TN20

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aaarneson

Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, AZ & Dolores, CO
I am pretty sure I am going to get the True North TN20 Wood Stove for our new cabin being built in Dolores, CO.

I am thinking about what to use as the hearth. We are thinking of using a brick or stone veneer for the wall behind the stove. Would that same veneer we choose for the wall work for the hearth. I think they tend to be 1-2" thick. Some of the brick veneer was concrete, the others were real brick. The stone veneer was also real stone, just made into veneer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

yes that would work since this stove only requires ember protection on the floor, just check the manual for the dimensions required for the floor covering.

Regardless of what you put behind the stove on your walls you will still need to follow the stove manuals specs for clearance from combustibles, if you choose to reduce your rear clearance you could build a wall shield with a 1" space between the shield and combustible wall and veneer the shield itself, but keep in mind that you will need to follow the spacing procedure on keeping the shield 1" off the wall and leaving an opening on the bottom, top and side.
Also how you position your stove depends on whether your using single wall or double wall smoke pipe, the stove may say you could position the rear 6" from the wall, but if your using single wall pipe your have to maintain at least 18" from the rear wall, so the stove may end up further away than what the manual suggests. double wall black stove pipe can help by reducing the minimum clearance down to 6" from combustibles.
*the only time masonry will offer a reduced clearance to combustibles is when it a minimum 8" thick, anything less than that is not tested to be a true building technique or approved by the nfpa

The measurement is to the nearest combustible. In this case it's the drywall, though you might want to have cement board installed there for a better substrate. Then the nearest combustible would be the studs.