Hearth extension plan feedback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

moistureboost

Sep 12, 2024
USA
Fireplace current state

I'm installing a wood insert (which only requires ember protection) into my existing fireplace. As part of that project, I need to enlargen the hearth extension (both for code and aesthetic reasons). I'm hoping to keep the hearth extension flush with the surrounding hardwood.

The above image shows the fireplace after demo'ing the quarry tile and concrete/mortar base. I've shop vac'd the area and removed debris.

Would the following be a good approach?
  1. Cut back wood floor to correct dimensions using circular saw and guides
  2. Fill any voids in existing hearth extension with backer rod and (broken link removed)
  3. Prime existing masonry hearth extension
  4. Fill hearth extension with self levelling concrete
  5. Put 1/4" cement board on top of self levelling concrete (but not on top of surrounding subfloor), screw to concrete
  6. Install picture frame transition
  7. Place 3/4" granite slab. The slab would sit mostly on top of the cement board and, on the edges, on top of subfloor.