Hearth Build Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Quioxte31

Jun 25, 2024
Colorado
Hey yall!
Had an old propane furnace removed and I was left with this massive hole in the tile. I am trying to be as safe as possible, so I thought I’d run it by the forum.
Could I simply use cement backer board running along both walls just high enough to cover the hole then put some corrugated metal over the top of that? If so, would I then measure from the metal to make sure my clearance is sufficient from the stove or from the combustible part of the wall?

I removed a platform because it didn’t fit the requirements for the stove clearance, so the bottom is exposed to insulation and some framing.

Thanks

Hearth Build Question

What stove is going in? That will determine the clearance and hearth insulation requirements. If there is no clearance reduction allowed per NFPA 211 then the manual's minimum listed clearance requirement is to the combustible wall behind any cladding.

2023 Lopi Evergreen. Clearance isn’t an issue from combustible wall beside the front which I’m going to extend. I’m just wondering if I could put a cement backer to cover the entire wall with the hole and if I did a sheet metal overlay, would I need to space that out 1” from the wall even if I’m at the manual’s clearance requirements? Thanks

2023 Lopi Evergreen. Clearance isn’t an issue from combustible wall beside the front which I’m going to extend. I’m just wondering if I could put a cement backer to cover the entire wall with the hole and if I did a sheet metal overlay, would I need to space that out 1” from the wall even if I’m at the manual’s clearance requirements? Thanks
If it's just a visual, then the sheet metal can be applied to the cement board or directly to the wall as it stands. No need for the 1" gap as long as the required clearances are met or exceeded.