Having the Hearthstone Manchester Installed Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
Having the Hearthstone Manchester Installed Today

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a beautiful looking stove. Can't wait to see a fire in it and hear how you like it!

enjoy

huauqui

Is that a gutted zero clearance fireplace there? How is the stove going to be installed?

Rear vent. Not gutted. Doors and flue damper removed. Tee into a 6” insulated liner.

Ok those are tubes i see in the back. What is the plan to deal with them? They are not allowed to be cut out.

You also cannot obstruct the cooling vents of that old fireplace in any way.

If the fireplace is being taken out of commision and a sign is placed at the back stating that it is no longer usable as a fireplace, is an insulated liner using the existing chimney as a chase viable? Several dealers and Jotul support have stated this case in past postings.

If the fireplace is being taken out of commision and a sign is placed at the back stating that it is no longer usable as a fireplace, is an insulated liner using the existing chimney as a chase viable? Several dealers and Jotul support have stated this case in past postings.
Yes, it’s perfectly acceptable.

Yes, it’s perfectly acceptable.
So you guys think it is fine to cut up a zc unit install a liner and cover the face??? Where did you see that in the instructions for the fireplace?

So you guys think it is fine to cut up a zc unit install a liner and cover the face??? Where did you see that in the instructions for the fireplace?
No.
He’s clearly no longer using the Fireplace. The flue is just being used as a chase for the insulated liner. In this instance, it’s fine.

No.
He’s clearly no longer using the Fireplace. The flue is just being used as a chase for the insulated liner. In this instance, it’s fine.
Who says it is fine? Who tested their liner in that fireplace with those modifications through that chimney to assure it is safe? Was the chase opened up to ensure there are proper clearances for the fireplace and chimney?

No.
And he is using the fireplace. He is using it as a chase for a liner. What are the requirements for that application?

It is a good looking stove. I’m not sure how many users there are on here. I’d be anxious to hear how it does too.

Please post finished pictures too.

Still have stone work to do. Good thing is my Limestone hearth didn’t crack. I didn’t screw anything up in the building process. Metal strips are temporary to allow me to slide it out to finish all the stone veneer.

Attachments

• Having the Hearthstone Manchester Installed Today
    IMG_4828.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 244
Not sure why the glass has a blue tint? Any ideas?
The Ceramic glass has a coating on it. It supposed to keep firebox temps higher and encourage a more complete burn. It wont really be noticeable when its burning.

Still have stone work to do. Good thing is my Limestone hearth didn’t crack. I didn’t screw anything up in the building process. Metal strips are temporary to allow me to slide it out to finish all the stone veneer.
It looks great. Are you planning on putting stone over the old fireplace opening to?

The Ceramic glass has a coating on it. It supposed to keep firebox temps higher and encourage a more complete burn. It wont really be noticeable when its burning.
Yeah some glass has a gold tint to it to. Not sure what the difference is.

Got to have some decent fires the past couple nights. Loving it.

This is my first wood stove so I’m no expert. Getting lots of good secondary flames. Side load is great. It’s a rear vent. The 6” block off plate on the top works great for boiling water or cooking. Double wall stove design probably takes longer to heat up but it holds the heat great.

Happy burner.

Reactions: Sailrmike
I’m guessing he’s referring to the plate that takes the place of the flue collar on a rear exit setup. It makes a great place to cook or steam water.