Have you guys seen the Caboose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter

UL listed and wall mount! Doesn’t say EPA certified though.

That is a well designed stove from the looks of it. I didn’t see any reference to UL listing or a manual. Wondering if it could pass emissions? The wall mount bracket is wrll
Thought out. 4” HT venting and 14” wood with a bit of a cooktop. Score.

Looks like a Baby Bear with side viewing. As we used to say "Cuter than a bugs Ear".

I saw this last year when reading a tiny house article. It is cute. However, some of the claims are wishful thinking. 4-6hr burn time with a .5 cu ft firebox ain't gonna happen. Not even close to that. It's highly radiant and will need lots of protection. The standard clearance is 14" and the hearth requires R=2 insulation protection.

Reactions: EbS-P
That is a well designed stove from the looks of it. I didn’t see any reference to UL listing or a manual. Wondering if it could pass emissions? The wall mount bracket is wrll
Thought out. 4” HT venting and 14” wood with a bit of a cooktop. Score.

I don’t see a pdf for a manual.

We have a 300 sq foot "flex space" that stays in the 50s from the heat below but not much warmer than that and is used as an office/dog training room. This could be a nice little room heater. I wonder how much chimney it needs to run well.

We have a 300 sq foot "flex space" that stays in the 50s from the heat below but not much warmer than that and is used as an office/dog training room. This could be a nice little room heater. I wonder how much chimney it needs to run well.
If it only has a baffle and no secondary tubes, it might vent well on short 10' flue system.

Since it doesn’t appear to have secondaries or EPA add ons, it probably doesn’t need much.

Given rules like 10-3-2 and stack effect, I’m not sure it’d be easy to shorten the chimney by too much if installed in a regular house. Then again, given the shed sized places this is designed for, and the wall mount, maybe it’s possible to set it up in a way that needs very little pipe. Since it weighs 90lbs, if it’s not too weird of a size a single person could pick it up and put it on its mount. 2 people would make it an easy job.

A low pitched roof with a peak exit… mounted half to three quarters up the wall could give you something like 6’ of pipe. I’ve never loaded a chest height stove, but I can see where that’d be a nice feature for those with back and knee problems .

If it only has a baffle and no secondary tubes, it might vent well on short 10' flue system.
That would be nice as our flex space is second floor. I could go straight up with about 7 feet inside and a few more outside.