Harmon Pellet Stove orange ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sterlingb1966

Jan 14, 2022
Sparta NY USA
My daughter and son-in-law have a Harmon pellet stove (unknown model) where the ash buildup on the sidewall outside of the actual burn pot glows orange after the fire is out. It cleans off like normal ash, so I am not thinking it to be creosote building up on the sidewall. Is this normal ? If not, suggestions on preventing this from happening in the future.

Attachments

• received_977590833174349.mp4
    2 MB
Normal….It’s fly ash I believe…mine does the same thing and has been harmless. Time for a clean maybe

Reactions: Mt Bob and johneh
Welcome to the forum
I have seen gray, black, and brown ash but never glowing orange ash
What make of pellets?
I don't think it is creosote. Creosote is black and hard or black and sticky
may be metals absorbed by the trees in the area where they were harvested

On mine the orange glow spiders around, pretty sure it’s fly ash.

Reactions: johneh
Huh, never seen the sidewalls glow on either of my Harmans.

Yes,sometimes see it when restarting stove. Is the unburden products of incomplete combustion. I only see it if stove has been running on low for a while. A hot burn takes care of it.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I see it now and then, mine runs in manual all the time. I can't say as I pay much attention to it any more.

Reactions: Mt Bob