Harmon P43 issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Danno_99

Nov 25, 2022
Hey all,
I'm getting tired of my Harmon P43. I just attempted to get it ready for this winter, got the vac ready, and when I plugged it in, it started feeding pellets, and that's not where I wanted to start. So I turned the dials to off mode, but the stove has been in shut down mode for 3 hours now. It fed 10 pellets, and now I can't get it out of shutdown mode. This stove has been a nightmare since I bought it. Can anyone recommend a fix, or a better stove?

Bought new or used? Been regularly cleaned during heating season? On a surge protector and then unplugged during summer?
Have had our P43 since 2013 with zero problems. Try pulling the plug for 10 min then plug back in, board may just need a reset.

Sam

You most likely have an air leak. Either one of the doors is not shut correctly or there is an air leak somewhere. Physically do the following:

Open and close the door to the fire box. You can do a dollar bill test while you are at it. If paper can slide out easily, you probably need a new gasket installed
Open and close the ash bin door
Open the hopper door. Check to make sure there are no pellet pieces stuck near the gasket. Close and latch the door.
Remove the fines box door, vacuum around the gasket, then reinstall.

It could be a dead spot on the dial, a board issue, or maybe even the exhaust temp probe, but I would check the free stuff first. In the meantime, I'm unsure why you didn't just unplug the stove to get it to shut off after a couple of minutes since it seems that it would have been cold.

The P43 is a tank of a stove (all the Harman P-series are). Most issues are caused by misunderstandings on maintenance or something not being reinstalled correctly during maintenance. Occasionally there are other issues, but if you tell us what is going on for your nightmares, we can help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up and ARC