Harmon 300i Wood Insert Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

george2c

Dec 1, 2011
SWPA
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help. My father just had this installed a few days ago. It was installed in his basement fireplace by an installer who was recommended by the store where he bought it. I checked his wood with my moisture meter and it is all below 20%. He has a near 30 foot masonry chimney and they installed an insulated liner in it. The basement is 1,000 square feet.

We cannot get it to heat the basement at all. Good fire in it also. I can tough the top of the insert and it is only warm to the touch. Anything I am missing here. I plan on going over tonight after work and starting from cold and see what I can do. I currently have a lopi free standing and it gets really hot and the glass in front really throws the heat. I was assuming the front glass on this insert would be the same.

Any help is appreciated.. Thanks

I have the free standing version of your stove the 300-TL. I can tell you its a heat monster. the whole stove easily cruises at 600 deg plus. I have to keep the air almost all the way closed. And i can heat 3000SQ ft with it. Its hard to keep the 20x20 room its in below 90. From what iv learned from this site Inserts don't heat quite as well as free standing but there must be something radically wrong with your setup if you cant heat 1000Sf. You will probably need to provide pictures and more detail for members here to try to help with some advice.

The insert should be radiating heat out the front with a good fire but this insert design creates most heat in the rear. That's fine for a freestander, but sub-optimal for an insert. Most of the heat will come from the convective blower. In order to lose less heat from the insert to the surrounding masonry I'd recommend having the installer pull the insert and install an inuslated block-off plate in the damper area. And if there is room, to install some insulation behind the insert. Roxul or micore board will work the best.

What insulation is there on the basement walls?

Not sure exactly what insulation there is but the walls are insulated and finished with tongue and groove wood. We could heat it up better with just the fireplace burning. I am gonna do it all tonight from a cold start and see what I can get. I will set my magnetic thermometer on top to see what it says.

Here is a side view illustration of the insert. It shows how the secondary combustion occurs at the rear of the insert. That is where most of the heat is concentrated. The blower is required to convect it out of the insert.
Harmon 300i Wood Insert Questions

Gotcha see that... Thanks This thing is rated for 4,000 sq ft, I was thinking he would run himself out of a 1,000 sq ft basement. I am gonna try it tonight and see what happens.

Yes, make sure he is closing the bypass damper after the fire is burning robustly. On the medium heat setting the insert should be blowing out a lot of hot air after it has warmed up.

4000sq ft, maybe... in Georgia. :rolleyes:

Yea if you don't close the bypass all the heat goes right up the flue along with the smoke that don't get burned defeating the whole purpose of a reburn stove. Also make sure its hot enough before closing the bypass or it may not fire the combuster. It can be tricky to get it going. If you close the bypass too soon the reburn may not light off and you could go thru the whole load of wood smoldering without much heat. Give it a good 40 minutes or more from startup before you try to close the bypass.

Reactions: begreen
Thanks guys I am gonna give it a go tonight and see what happens. I will get back on here tomorrow or next week to let you all know how I make out.Thanks again.

Were assuming the 2 side fans are running, if not you wont get much heat at all.

ok went up and got a good hot fire going and seems to be working ok to me. I guess I am just used to the heat a freestander puts off. Seems to be working as it should. I appreciate all the help. Thanks

ok went up and got a good hot fire going and seems to be working ok to me. I guess I am just used to the heat a freestander puts off. Seems to be working as it should. I appreciate all the help. Thanks
Were you able to heat up the basement satisfactorily? How long did it take?

This thread is making me glad I don't have the insert version of my stove.I have the opposite problem,keeping the 1000sq ft around the stove under 90. The 300i insert is a gorgeous stove though. Iv been toying with the idea of building a stone structure around my free standing Harman leaving a generous space around the stove but giving it that built in look somewhat. I love the look of an insert.

Half of the basement gets to about 70, But I think the heat goes right up the steps to the upstairs. Steps are in the center of the basement, the heat goes over so far then upstairs I think.

Half of the basement gets to about 70, But I think the heat goes right up the steps to the upstairs. Steps are in the center of the basement, the heat goes over so far then upstairs I think.
He should try closing the door to the basement if there is one. Also, try putting a fan on the floor in the opposite side of the basement from the stove. Blow the cooler air toward the stove area with the door to upstairs closed.

My basement is 1000Sf uninsulated but mostly finished. I have a hard time keeping it under 90 with the air set on the 2nd or 3rd notch which is about 20% open. That's with 2 fans blowing the heat up to the next level through 2 floor vents. What is the air setting you are using?