Harmen Accentra - super long flames & full burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TimmyC

Jan 2, 2015
MA
Hi everyone,

We have a Harmen Accentra insert and had the chimney liner cleaned today. The chimney sweep guy also cleaned out the stove, but hasn't been working right since he fired it back up for us. The flames are SUPER tall and lazy (like it's not getting enough airflow from the combustion blower?) and the burn pot is super full with pellets. To the point where it's spilling over partially burned pellets. The feeder setting is on 3 (turned it down to 2 to see if that would help but it didn't). Other knobs are set to "low" room temp and 70 on the dial.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks,
Tim

I believe you have a 52i.When cleaning,are you doing i it like this video?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and,make sure panels are properly back in place,and no fins broken off exhaust blade.Otherwise,did he clean chimney top(has been at least 3 this winter,that were cleaned from the bottom,yet still had blockage in the top cap)?If all is good,next step would be to check airflow with magnahelic guage,as combustion motor may be dying,or not getting proper voltage from control board.

I suspect an incomplete cleaning. I would check the area under the burn pot and the passage into the rear vent where the ESP is located to make sure it's clear.

I believe you have a 52i.When cleaning,are you doing i it like this video?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and,make sure panels are properly back in place,and no fins broken off exhaust blade.Otherwise,did he clean chimney top(has been at least 3 this winter,that were cleaned from the bottom,yet still had blockage in the top cap)?If all is good,next step would be to check airflow with magnahelic guage,as combustion motor may be dying,or not getting proper voltage from control board.

Thanks for the reply. I did notice the left panel does not appear to be seated correctly. Waiting for it to cool and I'm going to clean it again and make sure the panels are set properly. Will update you after I fire it back up.

Reactions: jackman
Well I cleaned the stove again last night and put the heat exchangers back in properly. Flame looked better last night, but woke up this morning with lots of partially burned pellets in the ash tray and the flame is long and lazy again. Seems like it's just calling for too many pellets. Planning to pull it out again today and clean the ESB probe.

While you have it out check if anything is still in the bottom of the combustion blower housing and vent pipe attached to the stove. You draft has been disrupted since the cleaning.

How old is your stove? Is it a 52i?

And check that the fines box cover was reinstalled correctly

Reactions: TimmyC
Bingo! Cleaned the ESB probe (which was totally filthy, as was the box surrounding it) and the fines box, which had an inch + of pellet dust. Flame is back to normal and no overflow of pellets. Questioning why I paid extra to have our stove "cleaned" by the chimney sweep guys. Lesson learned to just do it ourself next time. Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate on this 10 degree day in Mass!

Edit - so the flame got smaller, a lot smaller. Took it apart (again) and noticed that the combustion blower cover was not put on correctly by the chimney guy. So annoyed....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob