Harman XXV Temp Probe location success

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShizzelDizzel

Nov 3, 2011
Wesminster, MD
Just an FYI, I don't know if this helps anyone....

I've relocated my temp probe from dangling on a hook on the window trim on the upper left of the stove to laying it down on the hearth pad along the wall with the sensor coming to rest near the front/left of the stove. The setting on the stove matches exactly with my thermostat on the wall located about 20 feet from the stove. With the old location there was a difference of 5 degrees.

I am just starting to experiement with the temp probe location. I don't think your location will work for me though because the P series stove bases get hot and warm the hearth pad especially near the stove. The hearth pad requirements are different for my stove and yours I think also since the XXV has legs. I might just learn to live with the temp difference until I can get a wireless thermostat like many people here have.

ShizzelDizzel said:

I've relocated my temp probe from dangling on a hook on the window trim on the upper left of the stove to laying it down on the hearth pad along the wall with the sensor coming to rest near the front/left of the stove. The setting on the stove matches exactly with my thermostat on the wall located about 20 feet from the stove. With the old location there was a difference of 5 degrees.

Congrats! Now add an external thermostat and you'll be in heaven. Best upgrade to any Harman, period! See my signature for more details.

My installer not only integrated the sensor with my set back thermostat but he placed it inside of it. I have plced the thermostat on the left front edge of the mantle and find it to be accurate. The reading on my thermostat is EXACTLY the same as my stove room temp settings.

lbcynya said:
ShizzelDizzel said:

Congrats! Now add an external thermostat and you'll be in heaven. Best upgrade to any Harman, period! See my signature for more details.

Can you explain how that is beneficial? I'm not doubting that it is, I just don't understand it. I am running the stove in Room Temp (manual mode) now that temps have dipped. I'm happy to come home to 66 degrees then I ramp it up until bedtime. The ignitor isn't getting worn out and all is good. During the shoulder season, I used Room Temp (Auto) because I didn't think the stove didn't need to run all the time.

Thanks !
Bryan

ShizzelDizzel said:
lbcynya said:
ShizzelDizzel said:

Can you explain how that is beneficial? I'm not doubting that it is, I just don't understand it. I am running the stove in Room Temp (manual mode) now that temps have dipped. I'm happy to come home to 66 degrees then I ramp it up until bedtime. The ignitor isn't getting worn out and all is good. During the shoulder season, I used Room Temp (Auto) because I didn't think the stove didn't need to run all the time.

Thanks !
Bryan

The way I run the stove with the thermostat makes the thermostat the priority. I don't care if the thermister probe on the stove is "calibrated" to it's surroundings. I set the temp dial to 80 degrees to insure the probe is set higher than what I plan to set the thermostat and let the wireless thermostat control the room temp and the calls for heat. Advantages - Exact temperature selection based on DIGITAL thermostat reading not an unreliable potentiometer (stove temp dial). Ability to set back a few degrees manually or automatically when the house is not occupied based on the thermostat program. I lke the fact that the external thermostat is exact, not an approximation. Also, potentiometers wear after a while, so they can get troublesome, especially if they develop dead spots where the temp might be lower than 68 and higher than 72 with nothing inbetween.

Truth is, the temp dial on Harman's is anything but repeatable, IMO. I found it tedius to get it to the right temp first time...that's why I like the termostat over the trim pot.

(I updated my Skytech write up in the link below for more details that may help you)

I would prefer to do the same thing but am hesitant based upon a few things;

1. The igniter will burn out much faster due to more frequent firings.

2. If I set the temperature high on room temp it will just blast away and then shut down, not tamper down as it reaches temperature nor will it go into a maintenance mode.

3. What happens when the setback stops calling for heat? Does the stove go through a rundown cycle? and what happens if it calls for heat before that cycle (if it goes into it) completes?

fmsm said:

2. If I set the temperature high on room temp it will just blast away and then shut down, not tamper down as it reaches temperature nor will it go into a maintenance mode.

3. What happens when the setback stops calling for heat? Does the stove go through a rundown cycle? and what happens if it calls for heat before that cycle (if it goes into it) completes?

Regarding your items above:

1. This is debatable. It depends on the swing temp setting you select in the thermostat. With my Skytech you can choose up to 6 degrees. I'm not a big fan of auto mode, period, so I'm biased. Shoulder season, I will shut down when the area is not occupied (bed time and work time) since heat recovery is quick and easy when the temps are "warmer" outside. During 30's or less days you ALWAYS need heat, so why not let the stove stay warm in maintenance mode during the temp swing.

2. Yes, it will blast away until target temp is reached, then the fire will burn down to maintenance mode or shut of if on auto.

3. Yes, rundown cycle and it will "hot start" if there is a call for heat. The ESP temp will determine whether the igniter kicks in or not.

This is the balance we have to weigh since Harman decided not to give us a nice thermostat to work with.

lbcynya said:
fmsm said:

1. This is debatable. It depends on the swing temp setting you select in the thermostat. With my Skytech you can choose up to 6 degrees. I'm not a big fan of auto mode, period, so I'm biased. Shoulder season, I will shut down when the area is not occupied since heat recovery is quick and easy when the temps are "warmer" outside. During 30's or less days you ALWAYS need heat, so why not let the stove stay warm in maintenance mode during the temp swing.

2. Yes, it will blast away until target temp is reached, then the fire will burn down to maintenance mode or shut of if on auto.

3. Yes, rundown cycle and it will "hot start" if there is a call for heat. The ESP temp will determine whether the igniter kicks in or not.

This is the balance we have to weigh since Harman decided not to give us a nice thermostat to work with.

Thank you for the detailed reply, it is appreciated!!!

I can only imagine how much money Harman could make if they had a retrofit for the control; panel that would include set back ability. I do like running my stove on room temp and auto, if they only would give me the ability to program a setback (like a $25.00 lux does) I would pay them plenty AND be happier!!!

fmsm said:
lbcynya said:
fmsm said:

1. This is debatable. It depends on the swing temp setting you select in the thermostat. With my Skytech you can choose up to 6 degrees. I'm not a big fan of auto mode, period, so I'm biased. Shoulder season, I will shut down when the area is not occupied since heat recovery is quick and easy when the temps are "warmer" outside. During 30's or less days you ALWAYS need heat, so why not let the stove stay warm in maintenance mode during the temp swing.

Thank you for the detailed reply, it is appreciated!!!

I can only imagine how much money Harman could make if they had a retrofit for the control; panel that would include set back ability. I do like running my stove on room temp and auto, if they only would give me the ability to program a setback (like a $25.00 lux does) I would pay them plenty AND be happier!!!

Technically, you can. See the Skytech link in my sig below. You would use room sensor priority.

As for the original post, placing the room temp. sensor, when my XXV came, dealer suggested just leaving it hang in its pigtail behind the stove. Didn't even unwrap the twist tie. It's just looking for a place to have a consistent temperature, and I don't care much if the room temp. setting on the stove panel matches the exact room temperature, but I get very consistent temperature with the sensor just hanging off the back. If the back of your stove has more restricted airflow (O.P.'s picture seems to show it in a corner) it may not work as well, but my install is in the middle of a room backed up square to the chimney, so plenty of room air gets to the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.