HARMAN XXV HELP ON NOT RUNNING RIGHT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
hi all,season 6 with my harman XXV,been great up to last month i had to replace the blower twice in 6 weeks.well it seems the blower is ok now but my latest problem.if i use stove temp mode or room temp mode i get a BIG bright orange flame with very little heat.everything inside the stove is black.pellets keep falling off the edge half unburnt.this is on either setting and no matter what i put the settings at.i put the feeder to 1 and i still get unburnt pellets.reading the articles on the forum i checked for air leaks and cannot find any.there is NO smoke in the house.the stove also shut itself down twice.ideas and help appreciated

Last edited:
First and foremost do a full deep cleaning including your flue vent. Then run the self test and report if there are any status light codes.

was in process of doing a complete cleaning.started stove.no codes but the flame is huge orange and turning the inside black.no matter my feed setting it is dumping unburned pellets over the edge.

you are starving for air. Stove is plugged up. You are missing something on the cleaning /maintenance

removed and bench tested exhaust blower.working fine.was not that dirty but cleaned it anyhow.i cleaned the 3" pipe from the stove to outside.what am i missing?could the electronics be malfunctioning and closing the air intake?could the esp have went bad.but i am getting no codes.what controls the air intake to open?

Last edited:
Do you have an OAK and if so could it be blocked? Otherwise, it’s possible the damper on the air intake is stuck closed.

All burn pot holes opened up and ash free inside burn pot?
Insert or freestanding?
Recall inserts have an exhaust channel on the left side that can plug up causing airflow issues.

Did you clean out the area below the burn pot? You definitely have an air flow problem. If you have an oak disconnect it and see if that helps. Definitely a blockage of air somewhere or major air leakage. Check both your door gaskets as well. The flue may have a blockage if you can't run a wire brush clean through and attempt from both sides to clean it. Doing both sides may just push ash into one central place and create blockage of the exhaust.

no OAK,i checked the air intake and it opens and closes freely with the slightest of touch.(does this open by the vaccum pressure when the stove is on)?burn pot is spottless and all holes opened.the xxv is a freestanding stove.cleaned area below burnpot.did the paper test on both gaskets and there tight.is it possible the air/fuel ratio screw needs adjustment?i know it controls voltage.i have never touched it since the dealer installed the stove 6 years ago

ok guys.i might have got it.will need a day or 2 to test but i did not relize the 3" pipe that comes in from the outside only has about a 3/4" hole that eventually goes into the stove.(why would the hole not be alot bigger)my stove has a 45 degree bend before it goes straight and eventually outside.it appears that there might have been a clog at the 45 bend.i used a new,stiffer brush and it pulled out a big clomp of ash.maybe my old brush is just worn down to where it was not pulling the ash at the 45 bend.a day or 2 and we shall see.

Is the tunnel/ passage from the inside back to the combustion blower clean? When cleaning the pipe from stove to outside, did you have the combustion blower out? If you take blower out, you can start a rod from the front of the stove thru the grate under dist. fan, then screw your 3" brush on and start brush thru the fan housing straight out to the outside. Just trying to give some ideas to be sure there is not something you missed on the exhaust side.

Also Leave the front door open and try the leaf blower trick?