Harman XXV hard starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

BGStG1aholic

Oct 16, 2012
I've had my XXV about 10 years and the last few years it's been really hard to start.

I bought a new ignitor, new computer brain, new exhaust probe, cleaned everything possible and nothing helps. No flashing blinking codes either

Usually if it's dirty and the door has'nt been opened for a few days of running then it lights up a lot easier after being shut down. Usually about 8-12 minutes it takes. Every once in awhile it goes too long spilling fresh pellets over the side of burnpot and it shuts down after 15 min I think.

If I clean the stove then it pretty much never starts on it's own right after a good cleaning (my thinking is that I broke the seal on the door) and i gotta use gel lighter and start it manually. And I gotta use a lot of gel as the fire is a lazy flame and does not get the draft needed to have the flame take off. Once it catches on (sometimes 10 minutes OR MORE of screwin with it) and warms a bit then the flame catches on with a good draft and takes off and will run for days after that just perfect, until the next shutdown.

My thinking is that when I open the door I break a "seal" of ash that is helping seal the door. My stove is 10 years old and never had the door rope replaced. I did the paper test and it seemed to be pretty tight but hard telling there.

I called my local Harman "tech" at the fireplace shop and explained it to him and he said no way does a bad door seal affect the starting of the stove

I know thats his job and gots to be smarter than me in that area but I'm still thinking I'm right but don't wanna replace the rope if that ain't the problem

Any hints or tips - - opinions greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Ash helps the fire start - just like a sugar cube won't burn until it has a bit of ash on it, then it lights easily. My P61a takes longer than usual starting up the first time in fall as everything is very clean. But, at the same time, it doesn't spill pellets.

A bad door seal can affect the starting if it disturbs the air flow (a slight leak may not affect it, but a larger leak may). It may not be the issue, but it is a cheap and easy thing to do on your own, so it never hurts to try. Also, what about your ash pan door?

If you have a lazy flame, that may indicate there is some blockage of the air flow from the air intake. Make sure nothing is in the pipe and the flapper can move freely. If you have an OAK, make sure it is clear too, and make sure the end on the outside doesn't have any partial blockage.Also, when you clean it, make sure there is no ash "dam" way back where the air intake meets the igniter chamber.

Check to make sure the cover to the igniter chamber is on correctly. Just a little bit off can disturbe the air flow. Also, since your issu seems to be on the consistent side, check for warpage, you may need a new one (I've never had this happen).

You can also check the suction where your air intake is outside with your hand, if you can’t feel it with your hand close to it then you have a blockage or weak combustion fan.

Reactions: ARC
I had the same issue a few years ago and mine was caused by bees getting in my chimney and making a nest in my thimble for the outside air intake. This was a real pain in the neck I had to use 2 shop vacuums to suck the bees and the nest out of there. I hope this is not your issue, but I agree with Washed Up I would check the air intake.

Reactions: ARC and Washed-Up

Trending content