Harman XXV (2006) fan control.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

samandlillie

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2007
In the middle of a winter blizzard here in Nova Scotia and using my little used XXV(have heat pump). The XXV is a supplement for heat and used with a generator when the power goes out. All parts are original. I noticed when using the generator that the convection blower ran much faster than on the normal 120 volts. Guessing that the generator was producing more volts and or amps.
I find that the convection blower is not strong enough for a 50,000 btu massive stove.The outside of the stove becomes very hot to the touch and I think too much heat is lost up the chimney. I would have thought that once the temp, turns on the convection blower,the blower would increase as the temperature increased. Is there a high temperature limit on this stove??

Your gen runs on probably a slightly higher voltage. We run into that here when the power grid switches over to the backup power grid provided by a different suppler. Also one thing to check is make sure both legs of your hydro are at full voltage you could have one leg at 120 and one at 110 give or take some voltage. I just ran into this on one of our panels one side was 122 and the other side was 108 so everything one the 108 side was running slower.. Bad main beaker was the issue.
I have a different stove but the fan does switch speeds with heat level but as long as it is with range it does not change. Does the fan change with different heat settings? When is the last time you did a good cleaning

Radiant heat is a function of some pellet stoves,that is why the metal is thick.If your stove was cool to the touch,then I would worry about too much heat going up the chimney.You keep running that stove on a standard generator,instead of a inverter generator,and you will be replacing all 3 motors and the control board.