Harman Potentiometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The company I work for doesn’t like using aftermarket ( not purchased from stove manufacturer) parts, so I’ve never replaced them. Then again I’ve only seen a couple cases of bad pots, and I’ve seen a few Harmans that are 15-20 years old. Harman didn’t get big around her until about 10 years ago so maybe that’s why I don’t see a lot of it. I think it also depends on how much the user is fiddling with the knobs.

I have a P43 purchased new in 2008 and it took the pots 12 years to start acting up. Last winter was a real PITA running the stove as the pots were acting up so bad there were times when I could barely get any heat out of the stove. The feed auger would run about 10 seconds and that was it regardless of the settings. Trust me the issue is real for some folks. Could be a bad batch, who knows but after replacing them I tested the stove and the test indicated I will have my heat back this winter.

I am one of the fools that paid the long price for the pots but I needed to just get it done as my son, who is an electronics technician, was visiting over the Fourth and I took advantage of his soldering skills and sharper eyes.

I wouldn’t say your a fool. Necessity ruled the situation and you did what you had to do to fix the stove. We have all been in that position once or twice. Believe me, I know how difficult it is to find the pots.

If anyone needs pots shoot me a PM with your E-mail address and i will contact you through email.

To all our neighbors to the north in Canada, I have tried 2 times to get through the red tape enabling me to ship up there but without some sort of export licence and a code for electronic parts I am not able to do so at this time.

To ship them up here, thy would have to be labeled s a gift or as a used product...

I have a 3 year-old P35I that two of the pots are giving issues. Had trouble with the temperature setting last year - would not stop running as if it never reached setting. Cleaned the pot and it "fixed" it. Started stove up this week, the distribution blower is hit-or-miss. Cleaned the pot, works now but has a couple of dead spots that the fan will just shut off completely. Gonna have to replace them.