Harman PC45 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Glenn M

Dec 27, 2017
Alaska
A little background info:

1. First pellet stove.
2. Used in a remote recreational cabin in Alaska

I start my stove in a completely cold soaked cabin and it takes a while to heat up the entire place. I’m struggling with incomplete pellet burn. I’m using the room sensing probe. It seems like my burn pot is FULL of pellets if the feed rate is at 3. If it’s at 1.5, it seems better, but the fire is located right at the auger and the rest of the burn pot is pellets that are glowing but not producing flame. Then they run off the end into the ash pan. Even after it has been cleaned, it seems like the air is mainly on the auger end. I’m assuming it is operator head space and timing, but I’m not sure. Help!?

Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge, but here is the pc45 videos from Harman. http://www.harmanstoves.com/Owner-Resources/Use-and-Care-Videos/PC45-Pellet-Stove.aspx
I run my Accentra insert on room temp and use the default feed of 4. I have the blower fans up about 2/3rds. It almost seems like you are not getting enough air through the stove. Double check the connections on the room probe, also make sure it's in a neutral air location, so it isn't getting a bad reading from the hot air of the pellet stove. make sure all your seals are good, door and the exhaust. Best wishes

Did your PC45 come with both exhaust cover plates? It's the removable cover plate that goes over the exhaust fan/blower behind the ash pan. One size to use when burning corn and another for when you burn wood pellets(If my memory is correct, could be wrong) if using the smaller sized plate, the stove may not be able to draw enough. Just a thought.

Make sure burnpot holes are all open and not plugged. Good idea to check under firepot as it sounds like it's plugged with ash. This can be lifted up and out to clean by pulling latch piece near glass door side of pot. All pellets should burn fully before being pushed off end of firepot.

My pc45 is setup with feed at 3, pellet burnpot, small hole restrictor plate (holds in more heat than large hole plate). Burns great.