Harman p43 three blink code error help please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fireside

Jan 22, 2016
Durham
So oddly, stove was shut down and plugged in over the weekend. Went out and returned home and stove was running not ignited, but just running and spilling pellets over into the ash pot. I had to turn stove off by unplugging it. This is baffling and a bit concerning. The stove is now flashing three times in the status light. Anyway I’ve read that the 3 blink status is an esp probe problem. So I cleaned it and put it back and still the same problem. That did not resolve the problem after plugging it back in. I’m going to try replacing it today. I can’t explain why the stove will not shut off when in off position. I have found some threads that discuss this issue, but no one posted how they finally resolved the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

It could be a problem with the potentiometer, aka pot, which may have a dead spot. Try using an electronics spray contact cleaner and working the knob back and forth a few times. I had to replace the pot on my stove to solve it.

Ok so I changed the esp probe and of course still the same problem. I see they sell the pots on eBay. I’d assume it’s cheaper to try to replace this before replacing the whole board. How difficult is it?

Moderate soldering skills. Clip the legs from the old pots and then remove the old pins from the board and solder the new pots on to the board.

Jackman - just wondering if your stove was doing what my stove is doing before you had to replace the pot? Was it giving you a three blink status? Mine has the three blink and the Fans stay on when knob in off position like it would if you turned stove off and there was still a flame. When I turn it to stove temp the stove try’s to feed but the igniter never engages. I thought to try and light the stove manually while in stove temp to see what it does???

Jackman - just wondering if your stove was doing what my stove is doing before you had to replace the pot? Was it giving you a three blink status? Mine has the three blink and the Fans stay on when knob in off position like it would if you turned stove off and there was still a flame. When I turn it to stove temp the stove try’s to feed but the igniter never engages. I thought to try and light the stove manually while in stove temp to see what it does???

I don't remember exactly but the way the problem was made apparent was when the stove kept trying to start even in the off position.

Reactions: Fireside
Well hello, I just wanted to stop in and say how thankful I am for everyone's help and to provide an update. The most frustrating thing about searching for your stoves problems is reading a thread full of the same problem but no update to how the person fixed the problem!!!!! So I’ll leave this here in the event it helps anyone.

I tried running the stove despite the not turning off issue and the stove would not hold a burn. I also sprayed as suggested. In the end I just decided to replace the control panel on the stove, and it’s up and running again. It was brutal without it during that “historical record low November temps” that I just needed an quick fix.

I do suspect that you are right and it is the pot and thinking about replacing it at a later time when I have some more spare time to mess with it. It would be nice to confirm that was the problem and would be good to have an extra control board as a spare around.

I wondered if I should invest in a different surge protector for the stove. I bought a more pricey one from Home Depot a while back but is there a certain one someone recommends? I lost a control panel back in 2017 due to surge (loose wire on circuit board in the basement caused it grrr I did have an electrician in for that so don’t worry) it’s always in the back of my head .... I’m always worried about freak surges, and although I think it might have been the pot giving the issues this time..... I can’t really be certain it wasn’t another surge that caused the control board issue. I almost feel like plugging in the surge protector to a surge protector for double protection or is that foolish?

Thanks again for all the advice and help!

Last edited:
Well hello, I just wanted to stop in and say how thankful I am for everyone's help and to provide an update. The most frustrating thing about searching for your stoves problems is reading a thread full of the same problem but no update to how the person fixed the problem!!!!! So I’ll leave this here in the event it helps anyone.

I tried running the stove despite the not turning off issue and the stove would not hold a burn. I also sprayed as suggested. In the end I just decided to replace the control panel on the stove, and it’s up and running again. It was brutal without it during that “historical record low November temps” that I just needed an quick fix.

I do suspect that you are right and it is the pot and thinking about replacing it at a later time when I have some more spare time to mess with it. It would be nice to confirm that was the problem and would be good to have an extra control board as a spare around.

I wondered if I should invest in a different surge protector for the stove. I bought a more pricey one from Home Depot a while back but is there a certain one someone recommends? I lost a control panel back in 2017 due to surge (loose wire on circuit board in the basement caused it grrr I did have an electrician in for that so don’t worry) it’s always in the back of my head .... I’m always worried about freak surges, and although I think it might have been the pot giving the issues this time..... I can’t really be certain it wasn’t another surge that caused the control board issue. I almost feel like plugging in the surge protector to a surge protector for double protection or is that foolish?

Thanks again for all the advice and help!
Your issue sounds more like your plugged up somewhere m. If the vacuum switch doesn’t close, the igniter won’t work and the auger won’t work and the combustion blower will run to infinity. Blow out your vacuum line, clean out your fines box, clean your burn pot and under your burn pot. Clean your exhaust. Basically read your manual and clean everything.